copy component from schematic to library editor

  • tom_iphi
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi,

      can somebody give me a hint how to copy a component from the schematic to library editor?
      Somehow some of my components have disappeared from the library, but I can still see them in the schematic.

      Thanks!
    • Dan Andersson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
        On Monday 01 February 2010 18:39:56 tom_iphi wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > can somebody give me a hint how to copy a component from the schematic to
        > library editor? Somehow some of my components have disappeared from the
        > library, but I can still see them in the schematic.
        >
        > Thanks!

        Nope, you're wrong Tom.

        If you can see them, they are there.

        If I install a new KiCad without the VNWA2 libs and modules correctly copied,
        I see it in the schema or pcb drawing.

        Catch me on skype for a cgat.

        /Dan
      • Andy Eskelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
          You have may have lost the path to wherever you stored the parts in
          the first place.

          Otherwise
          Kicad maintains a cache of the sch. parts in the project
          directory, (the cache file) Open the lib editor and select the cache as
          the working library (it's normally right at the bottom of the list) , and
          you should see your parts there. Copy them to another lib and keep then
          safe.

          Andy

          On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:39:56 -0000
          "tom_iphi" <iphi@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > can somebody give me a hint how to copy a component from the schematic to library editor?
          > Somehow some of my components have disappeared from the library, but I can still see them in the schematic.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • tom_iphi
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
            Hi Andy, Dan,

            thanks for the hints. I found the cash and retrieved my components form there.
            They might still have been sitting in some library, but I couldn't figure out in which one.

            An info function would be handy that tells you from which library a component or module comes. Does KiCAD contain something like this?

            Tom

            --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:

            > On Monday 01 February 2010 18:39:56 tom_iphi wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > can somebody give me a hint how to copy a component from the schematic to
            > > library editor? Somehow some of my components have disappeared from the
            > > library, but I can still see them in the schematic.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >

            > Nope, you're wrong Tom.
            >
            > If you can see them, they are there.
            >
            > If I install a new KiCad without the VNWA2 libs and modules correctly copied,
            > I see it in the schema or pcb drawing.
            >
            > Catch me on skype for a cgat.
            >
            > /Dan

          • Andy Eskelson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
              Not that I know of. The .sch file does contain a list of what libs it
              knows about, and that is what will appear in the library list when you
              use the editor. However the parts are only simple text, and once they are
              in the .sch file there is not really any need to refer to the actual lib.
              Also there are SO many devices available, both native and converted that
              to try to state what lib was used would be very difficult, especially if
              moving things from machine to machine (hence why the cache is created)

              This sort of thing all boils down to project management, You as the
              designer need to create a system that you can work with and maintain.

              As I don;t make to many PCB's, just what I do for home projects, I have
              a library set up in my home directory (I use the linux version of
              Kicad) and I drop any odd parts and mods that I use or create which are
              not in the standard library into there, For other libs when they are for a
              whole series of parts, rather like the microchip lib in the standard
              lib, I do create that as a stand-alone lib, but I make sure that I
              know where it is, it all goes into my own lib directory.

              What I don't do is include an entire set of libs from something like the
              oshec,org as a hugen monolithic lump. That just makes things very hard to
              manage.

              Andy