a beginner of kicad

  • suktan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
      I am new to kicad. How does it compare to Eagle/OrCAD/PowerPCB?

      Thanks!
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
        I've not seen an answer to this, but I hope this at least partially
        answers your question.

        I'm a long-time user of Proteus, largely because I couldn't find
        anything better at an affordable price. Proteus is a collection of DOS
        programs designed by a committee and rammed into a Windows graphical
        interface (minus conventional Windows controls). It is unstable, and
        the antique interface is self-inconsistent, which means after a couple
        of hours with it I was ready to start smashing up office furniture.
        It's not the only CAD program not to have left its DOS/Unix origins behind.

        I was just about ready to jump ship for Eagle when I found KiCAD. I
        can spend all day on KiCAD and feel completely calm throughout the day,
        and satisfied with the end result. That's because the applications are
        stable, and the interface is modern and intelligently designed. It has
        some quirks and oddities, but the overall experience compensates for
        that. Add to that the fact that it's free, and I hope you can see why
        I recommend you look at it seriously.

        Is there anything Proteus does better? One or two things, but the only
        one of note is that it does power planes much better, or at least it
        would do if it didn't routinely crash when redrawing.

        Robert.

        suktan wrote:
        > I am new to kicad. How does it compare to Eagle/OrCAD/PowerPCB?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Please read the Kicad FAQ in the group files section before posting your question.
        > Please post your bug reports here. They will be picked up by the creator of Kicad.
        > Please visit http://www.kicadlib.org for details of how to contribute your symbols/modules to the kicad library.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • suktan
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
          Hi Robert,

          Thanks for your sharing! I definitely should spend time to learn
          kicad.

          Panson
          --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Robert <birmingham_spider@...>
          wrote:

          > I've not seen an answer to this, but I hope this at least partially
          > answers your question.
          >
          > I'm a long-time user of Proteus, largely because I couldn't find
          > anything better at an affordable price. Proteus is a collection
          of DOS
          > programs designed by a committee and rammed into a Windows graphical
          > interface (minus conventional Windows controls). It is unstable,
          and
          > the antique interface is self-inconsistent, which means after a
          couple
          > of hours with it I was ready to start smashing up office furniture.
          > It's not the only CAD program not to have left its DOS/Unix origins
          behind.

          > I was just about ready to jump ship for Eagle when I found KiCAD.
          > can spend all day on KiCAD and feel completely calm throughout the
          day,
          > and satisfied with the end result. That's because the
          applications are
          > stable, and the interface is modern and intelligently designed.
          It has
          > some quirks and oddities, but the overall experience compensates for
          > that. Add to that the fact that it's free, and I hope you can see
          why
          > I recommend you look at it seriously.
          >
          > Is there anything Proteus does better? One or two things, but the
          only
          > one of note is that it does power planes much better, or at least it
          > would do if it didn't routinely crash when redrawing.
          >
          > Robert.
          >

          > suktan wrote:
          > > I am new to kicad. How does it compare to Eagle/OrCAD/PowerPCB?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >

          > > Please read the Kicad FAQ in the group files section before
          posting your question.
          > > Please post your bug reports here. They will be picked up by the
          creator of Kicad.
          > > Please visit http://www.kicadlib.org for details of how to
          contribute your symbols/modules to the kicad library.
          > > For building Kicad from source and other development questions
          visit the kicad-devel group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-
          devel
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --