Re: It's there any newer eagle to kicad library converter ?

  • dickelbeck
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
      I added the ability to:

      a) load version ~ 6.2 eagle boards. At or around 6.2, let's say 6.x optimistically. Just load the board using the load menu in Pcbnew. Before loading, and in the file name dialog, select the board type "Eagle ver. 6.x...", and pick a *.brd file. (Eagle boards have *.brd file extension, and so do "legacy format" Pcbnew boards, bad luck there. Pcbnew now has a new *.kicad_pcb board file, which is different and better.) Be sure you are pointing at an Eagle *.brd file.

      b) read or convert ~ 6.2 eagle footprints, let's say 6.x optimistically. Using the python script in the original posting. Schematic parts are not supported in this mechanism, only footprints.

      You would need to have a version of KiCad built from source code at least as new as the day I made the original posting. a) is available for both Windows and Linux users if such is true. For b) Pcbnew has to have been built using the "python scripting support option". We don't have that fully working yet on Windows, only on Linux. A lot of effort is being put into getting full python scripting support on Windows. I am helping with that effort, just last night until 3 AM. (Who the hell knows why, I don't use Windows any more.)

      c) In the near future, after "footprint library table" support is in place, you will be able to just use 1) Eagle version 6.x footprints without even converting them, just like a normal Pcbnew footprint library, and 2) GEDA-PCB footprint libraries. But these two library types will have to be treated as "read only" as you use and access them. So after a footprint/module edit, you will have to save them into a standard/kicad library format after the modification. And there are now two of those formats: Legacy and Kicad (a.k.a. pretty).

      The direct Eagle footprint access and library table support are my designs and work, via base class PLUGIN. GEDA_PCB PLUGIN and Kicad PLUGIN were done by Wayne. Alexander has done a PCAD PLUGIN, but I don't know if *both* footprint and board access are in there, it may be only one of those two.

      In summary, if you just want to load an Eagle *board*, "just do it" using a relatively new KiCad load menu. Library table support, when complete, will broaden the types of footprint libraries that can be used, at least on a read only basis.

      As a developer I have chosen not to participate in any release process, instead I participate only on the leading edge of the development. So I typically cannot help answering questions about pre-built binaries. (For myself, I always build from source.)

      --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" wrote:

      > Dick, I know that you said some time ago that you have made a converter for Eagle Boards to Kicad - you where mentioning something about Eagle 6.
      > Could you please give us more details ?
      > 10X
      > DAniel
      >
      > --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "dickelbeck" wrote:
      > >

      > > https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg09281.html
      > >
      > > should work well for footprints, not schematic parts.
      > >
      > > To use it you will need to build the testing version from source or ask a friend to do this, since the script calls code that is less than a few days old.
      > >
      > > It uses both the PYTHON scripting support, and the pcbnew PLUGIN support. But think it should do the job pretty well. Any one is welcome to enhance this script.

    • dickelbeck
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
        It occurs to me that if you want to bring in a couple of footprints, and this is before library table support is complete. You can stuff them using Eagle v. 6.x into a stupid board file.

        Then load that board into Pcbnew, push the footprints out where you want them, I guess into your own library.
      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2013
          Dick, I have to congratulate you ! And team also .

          Eagle board import runs like a charm . I have imported several EAgle file very nice (and one of board it's complex - 4 layers, zones )

          I have build Kicad from WinBuilder.

          Regarding making dumb board in Eagle to place components there I prefer to use only Kicad !! Am so happy with it !