Re: [kicad-users] Looking for volunteers for the website.

  • Manveru
    Message 1 of 21 , May 8, 2012
      2012/5/4 Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo <miguelangel@...>

      Recently we've been talking around about how important it is what people find when looking for KiCad; probably the project would benefit from a higher user base and more contributors if we had a better website.

      There's a new domain for KiCad, and we have setup a first website/wiki.

      http://www.kicad-pcb.org

      If you wish to contribute, please rise your hand. :-)

      Greetings,
      Mike.

      Nice page & VERY NICE TOOL behind!

      Does it have any extension to format definition lists in document? I means something similar to HTML:
      <DL>
      <LH>List Header</LH>
      <DT>Term 1<dd>This is the definition of the first term.
      <DT>Term 2<dd>This is the definition of the second term.
      </DL>
      Where the terms are aligned and bold-emphasised and explanation/definition is indented.

      --
      Manveru
      jabber: manveru@...
      Message 2 of 21 , May 8, 2012
        i would like to help but i'm always so busy, not sure how much i can contribute.
        hosting open source projects is nice idea. is there any guideline for submissions (format, documentation, supporting files like images, spreadsheets, naming conventions, software versions etc)?

        IK

        Message 3 of 21 , May 8, 2012
          On 05/05/2012 09:36 AM, Richard Webb wrote:

          > --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:kicad-users%40yahoogroups.com>, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
          > <miguelangel@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Recently we've been talking around about how important it is what people
          > > find when looking for KiCad; probably the project would benefit from a
          > > higher user base and more contributors if we had a better website.
          > >
          > > There's a new domain for KiCad, and we have setup a first website/wiki.
          > >
          > > http://www.kicad-pcb.org
          >
          > Fantastic work -- it looks great!

          I whole heartedly agree - keep up the great work !!
          I'm really glad to have returned to using Kicad again after a lapse of
          several years. I just recently finished a project using this (prototype
          yet). And I can't say enough thanks to all the hard work all of you put
          into making this a very comprehensive EDA Tool for being a open-source
          project. kudos to you all

          =Dan
        • Sebastian Setz
          Message 4 of 21 , May 8, 2012
            Am 09.05.2012 06:14, schrieb Dan Roganti:

            yet). And I can't say enough thanks to all the hard work all of you put
            into making this a very comprehensive EDA Tool for being a open-source
            project. kudos to you all

            1+ !!!
          • Francesco De Napoli
            Message 5 of 21 , May 8, 2012
              Very good job!!!

              Good luck!!!

              2012/5/4 Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo <miguelangel@...>

              Recently we've been talking around about how important it is what people find when looking for KiCad; probably the project would benefit from a higher user base and more contributors if we had a better website.

              There's a new domain for KiCad, and we have setup a first website/wiki.

              http://www.kicad-pcb.org

              If you wish to contribute, please rise your hand. :-)

              Greetings,
              Mike.

              --

              Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
              http://www.nbee.es
              +34 636 52 25 69
              skype: ajoajoajo

            • Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
              Message 6 of 21 , May 9, 2012
                Thank you all, I sent the "thanks to the other developers",

                also thanks to the people to joined to website and started fixing things, their helps is really appreciated, *really* :)

                It seems that we can create "personal pages" / "blogs" related to kicad.

                Isn't it nice? :)

                Message 7 of 21 , May 12, 2012
                  I added a little section with videos posted in youtube:
                  http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/Video+Tutorials  (feel free to add more, may be we could arrange them in languages?, there is a lot in youtube)

                  And a developer space:
                  http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/DEV/KiCad+Development

                  2012/5/9 Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo <miguelangel@...>
[...]

                • Charles Davis
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 12, 2012

                    Hi All,

                    I am really getting frustrated here, and can’t see where I am going wrong..

                    I am busy with the PCB layout of a design, and decided to change one module – from the supplied part “Bornier3” since it is larger than the part I plan to use. All good and well – I have made a new module, with the module editor, using my own library, and saved the new footprint as “TrimPot”. Now, when I run CVpcb, I can select the new part, and check it using the “view selected footprint”, then save the netlist and footprint files.

                    Fine.

                    Now, when I open PbcNew, browse to the correct netlist and load it, I get the following message

                    Component “RV1”: Mismatch! Module is [bornier3] and netlist said [TrimPot]

                    I have deleted the offending Bornier3 part, and re-read the netlist, but this does not seem to help

                    I did look at the “footprint” in Eschema, and it calls for TrimPot – which is what I expect, but why does this “Mismatch” error still come up ??

                    I trust someone out there will understand my frustration,  and has a solution. I am sure I can “work-arround” this by manually selecting a new module for the Pcb, but I don’t think this is the correct route.

                    Thanks, Charles

                  • Ivica Kvasina
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 12, 2012
                      you are doing ti wrong.

                      use CvPCB to assign footprint, then inport the netlist into PCBNew...

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 12, 2012

                        Hi Ivica

                        This is what I have done, but the problem persists … see the highlighted text in my first e-mail

                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 12, 2012
                          sorry, didn't check it close enough i guess. btw:
                          are the pins on schematic symbol matching pins that are on the footprint?
                          did you choose to exchange module during netlist import tp pcbnew?

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 12, 2012
                            something odd happening there...

                            After you save the new netlist, you thne open pcbnew and then open the
                            netlist.

                            You SHOULD get a requester come up giving you some options as what to do
                            with new/changed modules. Do you get that?

                            I assume that you have double checked that cvpcb and pcbnew both have
                            your own library added to them??

                            If nothing obvious then it would be worth haviung a scan through the
                            netlist with a text editor to see if it has actually been changed.

                            I've changed modules often in the past, and it's always worked fine.

                            Andy

                            On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:25:23 +0200
                            "Charles Davis" <charlesdavis@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Ivica
                            >

                            > This is what I have done, but the problem persists … see the highlighted text in my first e-mail
                            >

                            > Thanks

                          • h_manbeing
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 12, 2012
                              --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Davis" <charlesdavis@...> wrote:

                              > Hi All,
                              >
                              > I am really getting frustrated here, and can't see where I am
                              > going wrong..
                              >

                              > I am busy with the PCB layout of a design, and decided to
                              > change one module - from the supplied part "Bornier3" since it
                              > is larger than the part I plan to use. All good and well - I
                              > have made a new module, with the module editor, using my own
                              > library, and saved the new footprint as "TrimPot". Now, when I
                              > run CVpcb, I can select the new part, and check it using the
                              > "view selected footprint", then save the netlist and footprint
                              > files.
                              >

                              > Fine.
                              >

                              > Now, when I open PbcNew, browse to the correct netlist and
                              > load it, I get the following message
                              >

                              > Component "RV1": Mismatch! Module is [bornier3] and netlist
                              > said [TrimPot]
                              >

                              > I have deleted the offending Bornier3 part, and re-read the
                              > netlist, but this does not seem to help
                              >

                              > I did look at the "footprint" in Eschema, and it calls for
                              > TrimPot - which is what I expect, but why does this "Mismatch"
                              > error still come up ??
                              >

                              > I trust someone out there will understand my frustration, and
                              > has a solution. I am sure I can "work-arround" this by
                              > manually selecting a new module for the Pcb, but I don't think
                              > this is the correct route.
                              >

                              > Thanks, Charles

                              Hi Charles,

                              On the Netlist Dialog (pcbnew), did you check "Change", below "Exchange module" ?

                              Kerim
                            • Charles Davis
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 12, 2012

                                Hi Kerim

                                Thank you – such an obvious oversight, thanks to all for your answers. Next time I will try to pay better attention to the details …

                                This is a fantastic tool, well done to all the developers and supporters

                                Charles

                                > I am really getting frustrated here, and can't see where I am
                                > going wrong..
                                >

                                > I am busy with the PCB layout of a design, and decided to
                                > change one module - from the supplied part "Bornier3" since it
                                > is larger than the part I plan to use. All good and well - I
                                > have made a new module, with the module editor, using my own
                                > library, and saved the new footprint as "TrimPot". Now, when I
                                > run CVpcb, I can select the new part, and check it using the
                                > "view selected footprint", then save the netlist and footprint
                                > files.
                                >

                                > Fine.
                                >

                                > Now, when I open PbcNew, browse to the correct netlist and
                                > load it, I get the following message
                                >

                                > Component "RV1": Mismatch! Module is [bornier3] and netlist
                                > said [TrimPot]
                                >

                                > I have deleted the offending Bornier3 part, and re-read the
                                > netlist, but this does not seem to help
                                >

                                > I did look at the "footprint" in Eschema, and it calls for
                                > TrimPot - which is what I expect, but why does this "Mismatch"
                                > error still come up ??
                                >

                                > I trust someone out there will understand my frustration, and
                                > has a solution. I am sure I can "work-arround" this by
                                > manually selecting a new module for the Pcb, but I don't think
                                > this is the correct route.
                                >

                                > Thanks, Charles

                                Hi Charles,

                                On the Netlist Dialog (pcbnew), did you check "Change", below "Exchange module" ?

                                Kerim

                              • Bernd Wiebus
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                                  Hello Charles, hello Kerim.

                                  There is another "pitfall" with the netlist and PCBnew, i fell in some
                                  minutes ago.....

                                  I have a PC with defekt real time clock (Battery is empty and cannot be
                                  replaced), so i have to set my clock manually every time i fire up my
                                  PC.

                                  If i forget this, or maybe accidentally set a wrong date/time , Kicad
                                  will get confused by the wrong time stamps of the netlist.

                                  With best regards: Bernd Wiebus alias dl1eic
                                  http://www.dl0dg.de

                                  Adresse:
                                  Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Wiebus
                                  Weezer Str. 5
                                  47589 Uedem
                                  Tel. 02825-9399977 (fest)
                                  0162-6157950 (mob.)

                                  E-Mail: bernd.wiebus@...
                                • JorgeF_Tech
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 14, 2012

                                    Hi Bernd

                                    Have you ever thought of installing some utility to  adjust your RTC at startup from a time source in the Net, or another PC in a LAN?

                                    Best regards

                                    Jorge