Re: Tried the FreeRouting option - get an error when exporting to *.dsn file

  • dickelbeck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27 7:31 AM
      --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      > Well, I took another closer look at this. And I found what it was
      > actually complaining about. It was referring to the 4 mounting holes I
      > put on the pcb. I have these in the corners of the pcb but I left them
      > with their default names when I added these to the design. So then I
      > edited each one and give them a unique Reference name and Value name. I
      > can now export to a *.dsn file with no errors.
      >
      > I didn't look at this first because I was preoccupied with trying to
      > find an error in the schematics. The first place where one normally
      > would look.
      >
      > The >>actual<< Reference name it was complaining about was called
      > "MOUNT-HOLE1" not just "M". So someone should really look into improving
      > the Error reporting when it comes to this.

      I did, the code looks fine.

      I'm not an expert programmer,
      > primarily in hardware but I dabble a lot in programming. But I do know
      > it's very important to provide >>clear and concise<< error reporting,
      > Otherwise your work is not going to help anyone -- but I digress.

      You did, into a worthless realm.

      Open your board with a text editor. If you do not find the module named "M", then submit a patch to lines around line number 979 of
      specctra_export.cpp
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27 5:09 PM
        On 04/27/2012 10:31 AM, dickelbeck wrote:
        > > The >>actual<< Reference name it was complaining about was called
        > > "MOUNT-HOLE1" not just "M". So someone should really look into
        > improving
        > > the Error reporting when it comes to this.
        >
        > I did, the code looks fine.
        >
        > I'm not an expert programmer,
        > > primarily in hardware but I dabble a lot in programming. But I do know
        > > it's very important to provide >>clear and concise<< error reporting,
        > > Otherwise your work is not going to help anyone -- but I digress.
        >
        > You did, into a worthless realm.
        >
        > Open your board with a text editor. If you do not find the module named
        > "M", then submit a patch to lines around line number 979 of
        > specctra_export.cpp

        As I mentioned in my original reply, the first paragraph describes how I
        resolved the problem. I also had stated that I double checked the
        schematics for any Component Reference ID that begins with an "M".
        Thereafter, the specctra export worked fine and it's now currently in
        autoroute. Therefore the error message was indeed referring to these 4
        mounting holes I had added in PCBnew at a later stage.

        Perhaps the error reporting is truncating the Reference name ??

        =Dan
      • Manveru
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2012
          2012/4/26 Dan Roganti <ragooman@...>
          [...]

          I can successfully run the autorouter using Freerouting.net. Its working
          right now. I also installed QtAutorouter, but it doesn't seem to start
          after I load the *.dsn file and clisk on the 'Start' button--because I
          see no indication that's it's running (As I do with the FreeRouting.net
          tool)

          I noticed inside the QtAutorouter Preferences, on the Autorouter tab,
          the Default Autorouter menu selection is left blank --and there's no
          other selection to choose--. Maybe this is reason ? Can this be correct ?

          QAutorouter is a project at very early stage. It is not yet ready to be used for any kind of production, it can be used only for testing partially done elements of the application. However some plug-ins are being developed right now.

          --
          Manveru
          jabber: manveru@...