Re: New file uploaded to kicad-users

  • Richard Webb
    Message 1 of 248 , Apr 27 7:09 AM
      --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Koenraad Lelong <kicad-koen@...> wrote:

      > On 26-04-12 17:26, Richard Webb wrote:
      > >

      > >> If you have some spare time ;-) and want to make a 3d model : I would
      > >> like to have one of a microswitch (Farnell number 1735367). I made the
      > >> module and tried making a 3d model with FreeCad, but I'm stuck. I can
      > >> provide the uncomplete 3d model I have and of course the module. Also a
      > >> 2d dxf-file.
      > >
      > > I was feeling creative this morning so I took a swing at this. It's in a new folder in the Files area for general 3D models.
      > >
      > > The center of the common pin, pin 1, at the PCB surface is the insertion point for the model.
      > Hi,
      >
      > Almost perfect !
      > Now I have to search for the threads about opening the wrl-file in a
      > CAD-package to design my case around the board.
      > I tried importing it in FreeCad, but the devices don't show.
      >
      > Anyway, thank you very much.
      >
      > Koenraad Lelong.

      Try the free utility "meshconv" by Patrick Min over at http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~min/meshconv/. Just for a quick check, I was able to take the VRML model of the micro-switch and convert it to a DXF file that BricsCAD was able to open. Wasn't perfect (had to use BricsCAD's "Recover" utility to (automatically) fix something in the DXF that it didn't like) but it did come in okay after that.

      In the process from an original ACIS -> STL -> WRL -> DXF and back to DWG the "solid" attribute gets lost, so one is left with a collection of faces. I *think* I've seen face-to-solid converters out there but I don't have any links handy.

      Also note that the WRL units are tenths of an inch, so some scaling may be required once it's back into CAD.

      Have fun!
    • kicad-users@yahoogroups.com
      Message 248 of 248 , Mar 26
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the kicad-users
        group.

        File : /Python Scripts for Kicad/Stand alone/PyKiCad-CaseSensitiveLibCure_RevC_21Mar2014.zip
        Uploaded by : bernd.wiebus <bernd.wiebus@...>
        Description : A Python3 skript and some help files for the BZR4646 problem. Convertes old Eeschematics wit upper case symbol names to symbol names matching to the library. Please read the README file. Author: Bernd Wiebus, GNU GPL

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        bernd.wiebus <bernd.wiebus@...>