Re: Tried the FreeRouting option - get an error when exporting to *.dsn file

  • dickelbeck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26 11:54 AM
      --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      > I tried the FreeRouting option in Kicad - but I get an error when
      > exporting to *.dsn file --error message below--. I already did a DRC
      > check with no errors. The only thing different, as far as I know, is
      > that I have already routed the nets in the power supply on my pcb. And
      > so I thought about using this to route the rest of the PCB.

      > IO_ERROR: Multiple components have identical reference IDs of "M".
      > from /amv/kicad-launchpad/stable/pcbnew/specctra.cpp : ThrowIOError()
      > : line 119
      > Unable to export, please fix and try again.
      >
      > And so I double checked my entire design, I checked my netlist file. And
      > I used the 'Find' button in eeschema to help search this - and I do not
      > even have any Reference ID's with a "M". I do have part numbers on here
      > that begin with the letter 'M', but that's it.
      >
      > Has anyone else experienced this strange problem ? I'm using Kicad on
      > Ubuntu Linux.
      >
      > Is there another autorouter that I can use for this ?
      >
      > thanks
      > =Dan

      Dan,

      If this is happening in yesterday's build, then I can help you. If you are not using a build less than a month old, then I suggest using Adam Wolf's PPA since you are on Ubuntu.

      Try a brand new version, measured in days, not weeks. If the problem still exists, think about whether you can send me your board.

      The fix would then be available in Adam Wolf's PPA the very next day. So this is another reason to have that on tap.

      Regards,

      Dick
    • dickelbeck
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27 7:31 AM
        --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > Well, I took another closer look at this. And I found what it was
        > actually complaining about. It was referring to the 4 mounting holes I
        > put on the pcb. I have these in the corners of the pcb but I left them
        > with their default names when I added these to the design. So then I
        > edited each one and give them a unique Reference name and Value name. I
        > can now export to a *.dsn file with no errors.
        >
        > I didn't look at this first because I was preoccupied with trying to
        > find an error in the schematics. The first place where one normally
        > would look.
        >
        > The >>actual<< Reference name it was complaining about was called
        > "MOUNT-HOLE1" not just "M". So someone should really look into improving
        > the Error reporting when it comes to this.

        I did, the code looks fine.

        I'm not an expert programmer,
        > primarily in hardware but I dabble a lot in programming. But I do know
        > it's very important to provide >>clear and concise<< error reporting,
        > Otherwise your work is not going to help anyone -- but I digress.

        You did, into a worthless realm.

        Open your board with a text editor. If you do not find the module named "M", then submit a patch to lines around line number 979 of
        specctra_export.cpp
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27 5:09 PM
          On 04/27/2012 10:31 AM, dickelbeck wrote:
          > > The >>actual<< Reference name it was complaining about was called
          > > "MOUNT-HOLE1" not just "M". So someone should really look into
          > improving
          > > the Error reporting when it comes to this.
          >
          > I did, the code looks fine.
          >
          > I'm not an expert programmer,
          > > primarily in hardware but I dabble a lot in programming. But I do know
          > > it's very important to provide >>clear and concise<< error reporting,
          > > Otherwise your work is not going to help anyone -- but I digress.
          >
          > You did, into a worthless realm.
          >
          > Open your board with a text editor. If you do not find the module named
          > "M", then submit a patch to lines around line number 979 of
          > specctra_export.cpp

          As I mentioned in my original reply, the first paragraph describes how I
          resolved the problem. I also had stated that I double checked the
          schematics for any Component Reference ID that begins with an "M".
          Thereafter, the specctra export worked fine and it's now currently in
          autoroute. Therefore the error message was indeed referring to these 4
          mounting holes I had added in PCBnew at a later stage.

          Perhaps the error reporting is truncating the Reference name ??

          =Dan
        • Manveru
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2012
            2012/4/26 Dan Roganti <ragooman@...>
            [...]

            I can successfully run the autorouter using Freerouting.net. Its working
            right now. I also installed QtAutorouter, but it doesn't seem to start
            after I load the *.dsn file and clisk on the 'Start' button--because I
            see no indication that's it's running (As I do with the FreeRouting.net
            tool)

            I noticed inside the QtAutorouter Preferences, on the Autorouter tab,
            the Default Autorouter menu selection is left blank --and there's no
            other selection to choose--. Maybe this is reason ? Can this be correct ?

            QAutorouter is a project at very early stage. It is not yet ready to be used for any kind of production, it can be used only for testing partially done elements of the application. However some plug-ins are being developed right now.

            --
            Manveru
            jabber: manveru@...