Create new footprints

  • tmortus
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24 3:34 PM
      I've got my schematic drawn and checked. I've worked through the tutorial and it says to run CvPCB and associate the listed footprints with the components in the schematic.

      I don't find any footprints for my components so I assume I have to draw them.

      I only have three components with one of them used multiple times. How do I go about drawing my footprints (or is it modules?)?
    • Peter Bennett
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24 4:12 PM
        Footprints/modules are created in PCBNew, and the process is described
        in PCBNew's help file. When you create your own modules or schematic
        components (or modify existing ones) you should save them in your own
        libraries, so you won't lose them when the supplied libraries are
        replaced during an upgrade.

        What are your components? It is quite possible that appropriate modules
        exist in the libraries under a non-obvious name.

        --
        Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver, B.C., Canada
        Vancouver Power Squadron: http://vpsboat.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25 8:40 AM
          Here are the Digikey and manufacturer part numbers for my components:

          Digikey # Mfg #

          A30521-ND BEI15-120-Q48N-C Molex two pos header
          WM4201-ND 1-1318301-2 Molex three position header
          255-1071-ND DS2E-M-DC12V Panasonic relay 12V
          811-2186-5-ND BEI15-120-Q48N-C Murata DCDC converter

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25 6:11 PM
            SIL-3 or PIN_ARRAY_3X1 will probably do for the 3 pin header, but you
            are unlikely to find ready-made footprints for the others.

            In my experience, you _will_ have to make new footprints for many
            components - even if they are in a library somewhere, it may be easier
            and quicker to make the part yourself.

            At work, I used Protel for many years and still often had to make new
            schematic or PCB parts for a new project. Even if the part I wanted may
            have been in an existing library, I found it quicker and easier to make
            the part myself that to search the libraries for it. Even if I used a
            library part, I often had to modify it, as Protel often used smaller
            hole sizes than recommended, or had other problems.