Can I open the Module Editor without starting PCBnew ?

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22 2:03 PM
      Can I open the Module Editor without starting PCBnew ?
      I like to edit/create some new modules before I complete CvPcb and
      before I start PCBnew. I have several components which new new
      footprints. Or do I just open PCBnew without loading my netlist, and
      then open the Module Editor.
      I'm using the Ubuntu/Linux version of Kicad

      thanks
      =Dan
    • Andy Eskelson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22 2:11 PM
        No, the module editor is part of pcbnew.

        Pcbnew is an independent program, so you don't need to load anything to
        fire it up. Just open, then start the editor.

        The only thing that might be an issue is that you may need to add the lib
        you are working on. When that happens it asks you to save the prefsm I
        can;t remember what happens if you don't have a project available. I
        have a couple of junk projects that I use for this sort of thing, so it
        does not matter to me.

        Andy

        On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:03:23 -0400
        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > Can I open the Module Editor without starting PCBnew ?
        > I like to edit/create some new modules before I complete CvPcb and
        > before I start PCBnew. I have several components which new new
        > footprints. Or do I just open PCBnew without loading my netlist, and
        > then open the Module Editor.
        > I'm using the Ubuntu/Linux version of Kicad
        >
        > thanks
        > =Dan

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22 2:54 PM
          ah, ok , I see now.
          I created a new *.mod lib for the footprints that I'm making. The I add
          it to the project library. I only had to restart CvPcb so then it shows
          up in that list.

          Thanks for the tip !
          =Dan