Re: [kicad-users] Lost a Component

  • Andy Eskelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 12:25 PM
      There is always the chance that it got saved somewhere else. There are a
      couple of things that might save you...

      Have a look through the .sch file with a text editor, and see if the
      component is there, it could be that for some reason it is simply not
      displaying. (double entries can cause all sorts of weird effects...)

      Somewhere else to look:

      eeschema maintains a cache of all the components used in a circuit
      independently of the libs. Look in the project directory for a file
      called schematic-name.cache That's the cache of all the library
      components used. Make a copy of this file, just to be safe, then add this
      to the lib list. It is prob easier to do this in a blank project. You
      might be lucky and find your component cached there. If so you can export
      it, and then import it into wherever it is supposed to go.

      Andy

      On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:24:12 -0000
      "tmortus" <tom_mort@...> wrote:

      > I drew up a circuit schematic and was working on it. I closed it and when I reopened it one of the components I had created was missing. I don't know if I accidentally moved it or delected it, but, it is not there but everything else is there including things newer than the placement of that component.
      >
      > When I try to place it again I can't find it in the list of components. I have set preferences/library to include the path where the component is (I checked, it is there) and have saved the preferences and then selected read preferences, but, I still don't see it listed.
      >
      > Any ideas?

    • tmortus
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21 3:10 PM
        I'm thinking I might be better off drawing it again, but, I'm starting to obsess about this.

        I found only one instance of the component listed in the sch file and it was for another draft of the component. I changed this to the actual completed component file.

        I found a couple of libs for this component with the same name located in different places. I opened each one and found that one was only started with only a couple of pins defined. The other looked like everything I has specified was defined.

        I put the completed one in the directory where I have put the components I have created. Then I added the path to this directory to the library preferences and saved the libraries and read the libraries and when I tried to place the component I couldn't find it listed.

        I also looked at the project_name-cache file and didn't see this component listed so I copied the definitions for this components lib file and pasted it into the project-cache file. When I go to add a component and select the cache I see all the other components, but, not the one I have just pasted in.

        --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

        > There is always the chance that it got saved somewhere else. There are a
        > couple of things that might save you...
        >
        > Have a look through the .sch file with a text editor, and see if the
        > component is there, it could be that for some reason it is simply not
        > displaying. (double entries can cause all sorts of weird effects...)
        >

        > Somewhere else to look:
        >
        > eeschema maintains a cache of all the components used in a circuit
        > independently of the libs. Look in the project directory for a file
        > called schematic-name.cache That's the cache of all the library
        > components used. Make a copy of this file, just to be safe, then add this
        > to the lib list. It is prob easier to do this in a blank project. You
        > might be lucky and find your component cached there. If so you can export
        > it, and then import it into wherever it is supposed to go.
        >

        > Andy
        >

        > On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:24:12 -0000
        > "tmortus" <tom_mort@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I drew up a circuit schematic and was working on it. I closed it and when I reopened it one of the components I had created was missing. I don't know if I accidentally moved it or delected it, but, it is not there but everything else is there including things newer than the placement of that component.
        > >
        > > When I try to place it again I can't find it in the list of components. I have set preferences/library to include the path where the component is (I checked, it is there) and have saved the preferences and then selected read preferences, but, I still don't see it listed.
        > >
        > > Any ideas?

      • Andy Eskelson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21 6:49 PM
          I think that if there is more than one def of a component, then eeschema
          will take the first one it finds. (that might be modules) If that is one
          without any pins etc then that might explain a few things, but it does
          sound as if you have managed to confuse something somewhere...:-(

          It sounds as if you have found most of the component, but perhaps it is
          not quite complete and so gets rejected.

          The only other thing I can suggest is to select a simple component, and
          export it. Use that file as a template and past in the complete component
          that you found, paying attention to any ENDxxx type directives so that
          you at least get a correct completion. Then import that into the editor
          and see if it picks it up.

          Andy