Re: Relationship between Partnumbers, Symbols, and Footprints

  • brownbrummig
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 19 8:40 AM
      I've just uploaded my own attempt at this:

      It includes a Firebird back-end database, an Access 97 front-end (I wanted to use LibreOffice Base, but it has a fatal bug), and some source code showing the use of ODBC library calls in an application. Note that although the sample code was written for Windows, ODBC is available on Linux too and it uses the same API. Firebird is also multi-platform, so it's just the Access front-end that goes against the grain.

      I've already used this on one project and made a few changes in the light of the experience. In particular components are identified uniquely using "Value", "Footprint", and "Field1", "Field1" being used to store the manufacturer name. My original idea of using an integer in "Field1" to uniquely identify a component in the database proved to be too user-unfriendly.

      Regards,

      Robert.

      --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Robert <birmingham_spider@...> wrote:

      > Just thinking out loud here. How about linking the EESchema library
      > browser with a database server using some sort of standardised or
      > user-definable SQL? Similarly, allowing the BOM output to be sent
      > direct to the database server would allow the automated creation of
      > custom parts lists.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Robert.
      >
      > On 06/03/2012 09:08, Jeff Kaskey wrote:
      > > Agreed that would be nice. KiCad is close. There are additional fields that you see in the browser, Keywords and Description. If you could repurpose one as the footprint, you could build your libraries so the Value/Footprint combo would be visible in the browser. Of course you can do that now, but there is no way to export the repurposed field into netlists or BOMs. So close, yet so far. There may be some convoluted way to do that using complex part names linked through cvpcb, but that sounds pretty painful.
      > >
      > > OK, not as painful as the guys who are entering part numbers, vendor info, pricing, etc :-)

    • Donald H Locker
      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 28 6:18 AM
        I look forward to trying your solution, Robert.

        Many thanks,
        Donald.
        --
        *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
        () no proprietary attachments; no html mail