FW: Taps

  • terry pierce
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Extend Ki

> [...]
      >The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.
      >
      >During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay
      >severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or
      >Confederate
      >soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man
      >back
      >for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the
      >Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his
      >encampment.
      >
      >When the Captain finally reached his own l! ines, he discovered it was
      >actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.
      >
      >The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb
      >with
      >shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own
      >son.
      >The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out.
      >Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.
      >
      >The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his
      >superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy
      >status. His
      >request was only partially granted.
      >
      >The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a
      >funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.
      >
      >The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.
      >
      >But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only
      >one musician.
      >
      >The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of
      >musical
      >notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's
      >uniform.
      >
      >This wish was granted.
      >
      >The haunting melody, we now know as "Taps" ... used at military funerals
      >was
      >born.
      >
      >The words are :
      >
      >Day is done.. Gone the sun.
      >
      >From the lakes. From the hills. >From the sky.
      >
      >All is well. Safely rest. God is nigh.
      >

      >! Fading light. Dims the sight.
      >
      >And a star. Gems the sky. Gleaming bright.
      >
      >From afar. Drawing nigh. Falls the night.
      >

      >Thanks and praise. For ourdays.
      >
      >Neath the sun. Neath the stars. Neath the sky.
      >
      >As we go. This we know. God is nigh.
      >
      >.
      >I, too, have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have never
      >seen
      >all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more
      >than
      >one verse. I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know
      >if
      >you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.
      >
      >I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before.
      >
      >Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.
      >
      >And also those presently serving in the Armed Forces..

    • E. Izawa
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
        http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/taps.htm

        From Snopes:
        If anyone can be said to have composed 'Taps,' it was Brig. Gen. Daniel
        Butterfield, Commander of the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, V Army Corps,
        Army of the Potomac, during the American Civil War. Dissatisfied with the
        customary firing of three rifle volleys at the conclusion of burials
        during battle and also needing a method of ceremonially imparting meaning
        to the end of a soldier's day, he likely altered an older piece known as
        "Tattoo," a French bugle call used to signal "lights out," into the call
        we now know as 'Taps.'
      • Chameera Asanga
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
          Dear Terry,
          It is a Interesting story. Thanks! Got to know little about American
          history.

          Best Regards

          Chameera.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
            Such a good story, a pity its probably an urban legend doomed to circle
            cyber space for a good few years yet :(

            http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/taps.htm
            http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bltaps.htm

            Cheers,
            Dan

            --
            dr. daniel james, school of microelectronics,
            griffith university, nathan qld 4111, australia

            http://maxwell.me.gu.edu.au/dj/
            http://griffithaikido.com
            +61 (0)7 3875 5036 (w), +61 (0)7 3875 5384(f) ,
            +61 (0)401 683 592 (m)

            "..we're continually bombarded with promises of immediate gratification,
            instant success, and fast, temporary relief, all of which lead in exactly
            the wrong direction", G.Leonard