1966-2008 Income Gap between East Pakistan/Bangladesh and West Pakistan

  • turkman@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2009
      As usual this man has come-out against the birth of Bangladesh and he is also mis-stating the facts again. My comments are inserted below.
      --------------

      --- In khabor@yahoogroups.com, "Muhammad Javed Iqbal" <javediqbalkaleem@...> wrote:

      > I have read with interest the arguments for and against performance of Bangladesh after separation from Pakistan. I have thought and written on the subject and also argued a lot with one of the stalwarts of Awami League.
      >
      > Whereas many pages can be written from both points of view, common sense indicates that joint efforts are often more productive and solo flights.If Pakistan and Bangladesh were one:
      >
      > 1. Both parts would have had larger market, higher demand and
      > lesser transportation costs.
      .
      TURKMAN: Yeah but Bangladesh and Pakistan would have a huge market if we had friendly relations with India and better yet, if Pakistan was never born to start with.
      -----------------------
      > 2. Expenses of border security and defence could have been shared
      .
      TURKMAN: Why should Bangladeshis be paying the monstrous salaries of huge Punjabi Army ruling Pakistan openly or from behind the curtain? Why would Pakistan need such a huge Defense Budget if she normalized relations with India?
      --------------------
      > 3. India would not have dared to block water from both Pakistan and
      > Bangladesh.
      .
      TURKMAN: Good theory but it has no feet to stand on.
      --------------------
      > 4. Now Bangladesh has an army of one hundred thousand, whereas
      > Pakistan has an standing Army of 600,000 and 500,000 Reserve that is a total of 1.1 Million.
      .
      TURKMAN: Why should B.D. have a huge Army to start with, when she is not at war with India, like Pakistan?
      -------------------
      If BD got just half quota, it would have employed 550,000 persons in the national Army.
      .
      TURKMAN: Like West Pakistan had permitted Bengalis in Armed Forces on Quota System. Who the hell are you fooling? Like nobody knows, 90% of Punjabistan's Army and Police is still Punjabi.
      -------------------------
      > 5. Since no custom duty would have been involved many Pakistanis would have invested in Bangladesh, raising employment opportunities.
      .
      TURKMAN: Oh yeah, yeah, like they were coming in droves to invest in East Pakistan before 1971, right?
      -------------------
      > 6. Economies of scale would have been achieved by entrepreneurs of both wings.
      .
      TURKMAN: Right, right. Just like before 1971.
      -------------------
      > 7. Brain power of Bangladesh coupled with physical power of Pathans
      > and Panjabis would have made production possible in many fields
      > which have not been touched by either side, especially in the value addition side, where both nations have little to celebrate.

      TURKMAN: Great stupid theory again.
      ----------------------
      > An AL leader has tried to hide behind the American aid for Pakistan argument. In fact it was mostly military aid consisting of stale and outdated equipment and was very paltry real economic aid.
      .
      TURKMAN: Oh yeah, yeah, F-16s, the most advanced Helicopter Gun Ships etc are 'stale and outdated'. $ 49 billion in Food Aid since 1953 was 'very paltry Economic Aid'. If Military Aid was all that junk, why Pakistan accepted it and is now requesting for more after receiving over $ 6 billion worth of it between 2002 and 2007?
      ----------------------
      For example Bangladesh enjoys a duty free import of its garments
      > whereas Pakistan has been cornered by a heavy duty.
      .
      TURKMAN: This is a complete lie. Pakistan has been enjoying Export Concessions created by USA throughtout the world since 2002 and proof is Pak Foreign Exchange Earnings have increased to $ 32 billion now from $ 7 billion in 2001.
      ---------------------
      It should be clearly understood that super powers do not go to smaller nations to raise their standard of living but have their own Agenda.
      .
      TURKMAN: But then how come Pakistan is still competing in Per Capita Income with India without any real Industrial Progress? How come Pak Per Capita Income had doubled in 2007 because of all the help of USA from her 2001 status, liar?
      -----------------------
      If this was not so, people of Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and Sudan would not have rebelled against American occupation.
      .
      TURKMAN: When had people of those countries rebelled against USA? In Iraq they were killing each other. In Afhganistan only Paki Taliban have been terrorizing USA. In Somalia, just a gang of Terrorists had killed a few Americans, who were there for Peace Keeping. US Army had never been in Sudan for last 2 centuries.
      Pakistan lost much more in wars of eighties against Soviet Union, world's second super power, than America was able to remit.

      > Muhammad Javed Iqbal
      TURKMAN: And waht was that 'much more' besides 'Eemaan'?
      > Allah SWT had given us a golden opportunity to grow and prosper as a Muslim nation, but selfish leaders from both the sides including Army leaders, made it impossible to continue.

      TURKMAN: Yeah, yeah like Allah has been providing so many 'Golden Opportunities' to all Moslim nations thoughtout the history, right? Is this not why all Non Oil Rich Moslim countries are the poorest of the world?