Iran sentences Israel spy to death

  • Syed Aslam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2008

      Iran sentences 'Israeli spy'

      An Iranian offical said that Ashtari can
      appeal his sentence [AFP]

      Iran has sentenced to death an Iranian found guilty of spying for Israel, the Fars news agency has reported.

      The sentence against Ali Ashtari, 45, who was arrested one and a half years ago, was handed down by an Iranian revolutionary court on Monday.

      Ashtari was accused of involvement in a plot, run by the Israeli secret services, to intercept the communications of Iranian officials working in the military and its contested nuclear programme.

      Another official quoted on Iran's state TV website said Ashtari "relayed sensitive information on military, defence and research centres" to Israel's Mossad spy agency.

      Appeal allowed

      An Iranian official said that Ashtari can appeal his sentence.

      "This is an initial verdict and should receive final approval. The defendant can appeal," an unnamed intelligence official was quoted as saying.

      "He fell into the trap of the foreign intelligence services. They took advantage of his situation. They asked him to co-operate and he co-operated," source said.

      The verdict comes amid escalating tensions between Iran and Israel, over Tehran's nuclear energy programme.

      Israel, backed by the US, says Iran is covertly developing atomic weapons while Tehran insists that its nuclear programme is for civilian purposes.

      According to Ashtari's "confession", published in full by Fars, he was a salesman of telecoms equipment used to help the Israeli intelligence service Mossad access secret information from Iranian officials.

      Mossad gave him $50,000 to buy internet cables and satellite phones and then sell them on to "special customers" in the hope of enabling Israel to spy on their communications, Ashtari said.

      'Failures are irreversible'

      The intelligence official quoted by the Iranian Mehr news agency said Ashtari had contacts with the Iranian Atomic Energy Organisation and military bodies.

      "His action was definitely one of treason because some of our research projects have failed because of the use of this equipment," the official said.

      "In some cases failures are irreversible and big."

      The source did not give details about which projects had been affected. State television broadcast pictures of Ashtari at his trial showing the satellite phone, laptop and other equipment allegedly used in his work.

      His handlers "introduced themselves as Jacques, Charles and Tony," Ashtari said.

      "I had meetings in Thailand, Turkey and Switzerland with them. They gave me some equipment including a laptop through which I could send encrypted emails," he said.

      They wanted "me to sell these terminals in Iran to my special customers so they could hack into this equipment.

      "I am not sure what they intended to do as before I sold these to my customers I was arrested," he added.

      Trials against Iranians accused of spying for Israel are a rarity, despite the enmity between the two states.

      Source:Al Jazeera and agnecies

      Calgary Herald
      Iran sentences Israel spy to death
      TVNZ, New Zealand - 8 hours ago
      An Iranian court sentenced to death an Iranian businessman on charges of spying for Israel after a two-day trial, media said. The Tehran court handed down ...
      Iran sentences man to death for spying for Israel Reuters.fr
      Iran Sentences "Israeli Spy" To Death RTT News
      Iran sentences man to death for spying for Israel Ynetnews
      Fars News Agency - CBC.ca
      all 337 news articles »

      AFP
      Iran sentences 'Israel spy' to death
      AFP - 3 hours ago
      TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran has sentenced to death an Iranian telecoms salesman found guilty of spying for Israel, official media reported on Monday, in a rare move ...
      Iran Sentences Israeli Spy to Death
      Aljazeera.com, UK - 56 minutes ago
      An Iranian court on Monday sentenced to death an Iranian businessman on charges of spying for Israel after a two-day trial, media said. ...
      Iran sentences man to death for spying for Israel
      Reuters India, India - 10 hours ago
      TEHRAN (Reuters) - A court has sentenced an Iranian man to death on charges of spying for Israel, an Iranian news agency reported on Monday. ...