M/K - Fledge Watch - Tuesday - 7/24 (6:30 - 9:00 p.m.) - Gull on the Menu!

  • Carol P
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24 7:09 PM
      1. Lots of Watchers: Joyce, Brian H, Dan S, Kathy O, Lynda, Jeanne,
      Ellen, Kelly and her sister. I'm sure I forgot someone. :-/

      2. Linn eating a gull on the rocks in front of the small building on
      the island below the pedestrian bridge (in front of the falls).
      Feathers everywhere. The question is: who killed the gull?

      3. Linn bathes in the Genesee River.

      4. Linn and Sacajawea fly the gorge, attacking everything in sight,
      including each other.

      5. Adult on the communication tower (Kaver?).

      6. Adult in the elevator shaft of the old Changing Scene's
      Restaurant (Mariah?).

      7. Visit by Grace on Skye's Building just as it was getting dark.

      Just because we didn't positively ID Ananta this evening doesn't mean
      she's not ok. If we left 5 minutes earlier tonite, we would have
      missed Grace. It's all about timing amd being in the right place at
      the right time.

      Now about that Gull!!!

      We'll keep watching! ;-)

      Carol P.
    • Kelly W.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25 6:15 AM
        Here are a few pics from last night. Other folks got better photos
        and also some video so stay tuned...what fun!

        http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=18gcdvgv.bjh779dz&Uy=-jxhady&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

        http://tinyurl.com/ystdf4

        Kelly W.

        --- In kfalconcam@yahoogroups.com, "Carol P" <libbymybird@...> wrote:

        > 2. Linn eating a gull on the rocks in front of the small building on
        > the island below the pedestrian bridge (in front of the falls).
        > Feathers everywhere. The question is: who killed the gull?
        >
        > 3. Linn bathes in the Genesee River.
        >
        > Carol P.

      • dale pesmen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25 9:53 PM
          they swim and they eat gulls. dunno.
        • Carol P
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26 5:01 AM
            --- In kfalconcam@yahoogroups.com, "dale pesmen" <pesmen2001@...> wrote:

            > they swim and they eat gulls. dunno.

            This is definitely a very different bunch of girls this year, Dale.

            KINGfishers ruled the gorge alongside the much larger GREAT! Blue
            Herons.

            I joined Dan S and Jeanne for a short watch this morning. The Gorge
            wildlife was up along with the sun. A doe and her two fawns made their
            way down to the river for a drink before returning to the lush, green
            undergrowth along the river's bank. A young rabbit (possible sibling
            of Sacajawea's lunch?) was munching on the weeds/grass growing along
            the old, unused railroad tracks that lead up to the High Falls Brewery.

            Dan had one (we think) juvie sitting on top of the HSBC building
            downtown. Other than that, my Watch was Falconfree.

            Have a wonderful day everyone.

            Carol P.
          • jeanne
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26 6:31 AM
              they did do a little dance one day across from the bridge. These GALS
              have truly been fun if not a little unique!
            • Jim Pisello
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26 7:50 AM
                --- In kfalconcam@yahoogroups.com, "Carol P" <libbymybird@...> wrote:

                > 1.  Lots of Watchers: Joyce, Brian H, Dan S, Kathy O, Lynda, Jeanne,
                > Ellen, Kelly and her sister.  I'm sure I forgot someone.  :-/
                >
                > 2.  Linn eating a gull on the rocks in front of the small building on
                > the island below the pedestrian bridge (in front of the falls).
                > Feathers everywhere.  The question is:  who killed the gull?

                Wow.  That's the first time I've heard of any of our falcons eating a Gull.  Never understood why they didn't dine on Larids in the past-- they're so numerous and fairly slow.  Neat.  I'll have to see if I can get down for an evening watch.

              • jeanne
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26 10:52 AM
                  They also have been after the kingfisher! These girls have really gone
                  after everything in that gorge!