Re: [Keyboard Maestro] How can I abort (halt) a Macro when it is misbehaving?

  • Peter N Lewis
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 29, 2008
      >I couldn't find any files that looked like com.stairways.* .

      The preference files are com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.* and the
      Keyboard Maestro folder in ~/Library/Preferences.

      If you launch Keyboard Maestro (the application), then the files will be there.

      >I did erase (previously) a file that I think was named
      >Keyboard??????.perfPane, where I think ???????? = Maestro.

      Umm. there is no Keyboard maestro preference pane, so I hate to think
      what you deleted!

      >Still nothing when I push a global hotkey and no "hand" in status bar
      >after launching engine. It seem clear that the engine will not launch
      >even when it indicates that it has.

      The engine is partially launching or launching and then quiting/crashing.

      At 16:33 +0000 29/10/08, rmsfld48 wrote:
      >10/29/08 10:54:40 AM
      >[0x0-0x36036].com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine[383] Keyboard
      >Maestro Engine(383) malloc: *** mmap(size=1133801472) failed (error
      >code=12)

      Something is corrupted on your Mac - either the system, the Keyboard
      Maestro application or some preferences. mmap is an attempt by the
      system to memory map a file. Since no file in question should be
      anywhere near 1GB (1133801472), there is definitely some sort of
      corruption going on.

      Another option would be to run Disk First Aid or another disk repair program.

      >I'm beginning to feel like giving up on KM and finding another
      >keyboard macro program, if one exists.

      Best wishes with that - but nothing compares with Keyboard Maestro,
      and no program will work when files are corrupted.

      Regardless, this may as well be taken off the list since finding out
      what is corrupted on your Mac is not going to help anyone else on
      this list, and it's unlikely anyone here will be able to help you
      find out what is corrupted, so I suggest you contact me directly with
      any further queries.

      Enjoy,
      Peter.

      --
      Keyboard Maestro 3 Now Available!
      Now With Status Menu triggers!

      Keyboard Maestro <http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/> Macros for your Mac
      <http://www.stairways.com/> <http://download.stairways.com/>
    • JJ
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 30, 2008
        hi Bob,

        > Also, Stairways support has not responded to my three day old email
        > request.

        strange, I see multiple email-replies to your problem on this
        mailinglist from Peter, the last of which shows up as "Yesterday" in
        my timezone:

        ===================
        From: Peter N Lewis <peter@...>
        Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:45:46 +0800
        Subject: Re: [Keyboard Maestro] How can I abort (halt) a Macro when it
        is misbehaving?

        <snip>

        It sounds like the engine is launching and then quiting or crashing.
        ===================

        did you not get the above message?

        grtz, jj
      • rmsfld48
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 30, 2008
          Eureka! Eureka! Eureka!

          When I was searching around for another keyboard macro program, I
          found AppCleaner. As far as I'm concerned everyone should have this
          free download.

          It is an "uninstaller" application, something that should be bundled
          with Mac OS. It found and erased all the ancillary files. There were
          many and I hadn't been about to find any of them.

          Now I have a clean copy of Keyboard Maestro and I am back in business!

          Yeah AppCleaner!!

          Thanks to all who have been working with me,

          Bob with a resurrected Maestro engine!
        • Dennis M. Briggs
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 30, 2008
            Quite a saga, Bob. A testimonial to perseverance.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 30, 2008
              >Also, Stairways support has not responded to my three day old email
              >request.

              I did respond to your direct support request on Wednesday (as well as
              multiple on this list), I suggest you check your spam filters.

              At 17:48 +0000 30/10/08, rmsfld48 wrote:
              >It is an "uninstaller" application, something that should be bundled
              >with Mac OS. It found and erased all the ancillary files. There were
              >many and I hadn't been about to find any of them.

              Almost certainly the files that needed deleting were the preference
              files or the application. Keyboard Maestro does not "install"
              anything.

              * It exists as the application you download, typically in the
              Applications folder.
              * It creates files in the Preferences folder and the Logs folder,
              both in the Library folder in your home folder.

              I'm glad you got it working.

              Enjoy,
              Peter.