Message for the day

  • kevala01
    Message 1 of 163 , Sep 26, 2010
      You need not aspire for or get any new state. Get rid of your present thoughts, that is all.
      ……Ramana Maharshi

      When meditation deepens, and the thinking process slows down, we will find that we don't have to think all the time. It sounds simple, even scary, but it is a mighty achievement that yields unimaginable peace. Thoughts are no longer compulsive.
      Just as we turn the key in the ignition of our car when we want to go somewhere, we should be able to find the ignition switch in our own mind. When we want to think constructively we switch the mind on, and drive all the way to Los Angeles without any detours or breakdowns. Anger is a breakdown. Resentment is a protracted detour that often makes us forget our original travel plan entirely and then leaves us out of gas in the middle of nowhere. But when we know where to find the ignition switch, we can start the mind out in Seattle on Interstate 5 and drive straight through to Los Angeles. We have a wonderful trip, and when we arrive and our project is completed, we switch the mind off and let it rest.
      There may be a certain pleasure in letting the mind wander, but for how long? What the mystics ask us is simple: Don't you want to decide your destination? And don't you want to get there with your body still healthy and your mind at peace?
    • kevala01
      Message 163 of 163 , Dec 1, 2010
        In youth the days are short and the years are long,
        In old age the years are short and the days are long.-Panin