Starting over

  • Alison
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
      Since moving, I have had to start a new backyard life list. No duh, huh!

      It has been fun. Having Western Bluebird, Western Meadowlark, and the normal
      passerines for the Kern Valley in winter/spring in one's backyard is a kick.

      But even more fun is having a pink-sided junco yesterday and a really nice
      slate-colored junco today. I hope they visit again tomorrow as I was unable
      to get a photo.

      Another fun bird but not in my backyard was the Tillie Creek Northern
      Shrike. I did not see this bird, but Terri Gallion did and the most fun of
      all, it was a county bird for her. (I got my county/life NoSh a few years
      back). The bird was in a willow half way between the campground road and the
      reservoir edge directly down from campsite 114.
      It is quite an elusive bird and after Terri got a good look it disappeared
      not to be seen again.

      One more unrelated note: I put a new spotlight on diversity piece on the
      NatureAli website. The strangest thing is going on as the site went over
      bandwidth and was shut down yesterday as it is being visited by over 500
      people a day now. I switched to a new server with a more generous bandwidth
      allotment so again the website is going through some growing pains... not
      all of the pages are complete as uploading takes time.

      The home page with the piece on Kern County egrets and herons is complete
      though. Please let me know your thoughts on these little articles.

      Thanks,

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      Nature Alley - http://natureali.org
      Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.