Forward from John Green

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
      Hi Michael,
      I live in Riverside. I'm the compiler of the Southeastern
      California Rare Bird Alert. I'm staying in Boron this week.
      I went to Central Park in California City again this evening. The
      White-throated Sparrow was there. Also of possible note, there was a
      Golden-crowned Sparrow and a Spotted Towhee in that same small flock
      of White-crowned Sparrows. All were in the weedy area at the base of
      the waterfall hill.
      John Green
    • Alison
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
        Since moving, I have had to start a new backyard life list. No duh, huh!

        It has been fun. Having Western Bluebird, Western Meadowlark, and the normal
        passerines for the Kern Valley in winter/spring in one's backyard is a kick.

        But even more fun is having a pink-sided junco yesterday and a really nice
        slate-colored junco today. I hope they visit again tomorrow as I was unable
        to get a photo.

        Another fun bird but not in my backyard was the Tillie Creek Northern
        Shrike. I did not see this bird, but Terri Gallion did and the most fun of
        all, it was a county bird for her. (I got my county/life NoSh a few years
        back). The bird was in a willow half way between the campground road and the
        reservoir edge directly down from campsite 114.
        It is quite an elusive bird and after Terri got a good look it disappeared
        not to be seen again.

        One more unrelated note: I put a new spotlight on diversity piece on the
        NatureAli website. The strangest thing is going on as the site went over
        bandwidth and was shut down yesterday as it is being visited by over 500
        people a day now. I switched to a new server with a more generous bandwidth
        allotment so again the website is going through some growing pains... not
        all of the pages are complete as uploading takes time.

        The home page with the piece on Kern County egrets and herons is complete
        though. Please let me know your thoughts on these little articles.

        Thanks,

        Ali

        Alison Sheehey
        P.O. Box 153
        Weldon, CA
        93283

        Nature Alley - http://natureali.org
        Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.