Bakersfield WWTP

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
      Birders: I'll be birding the Bakersfield Waste Water Treatment ponds
      in the morning, Saturday, 1/31 at about 8:00 a.m. Anyone interested
      in joining me is welcome to do so. For information or directions,
      please contact me offlist.
    • KRPFriends
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
        Kern Co. Birders:

        John Schmitt had the Northern Shrike later in the day on Sunday, February 1st.
        He made one last check and found the bird!

        John checked again since and did not relocate the bird. He said he has struck
        out on more than one day followed by sightings on other days.

        My understanding is that several birders had seen this bird through Friday,
        January 30th. The bird was not seen by several birders on Saturday, January
        31st. This was followed by John's February 1st sighting.

        As of today, there have been several reports ranging from the first date of
        observation on January 20th through February 1st.

        Best,

        Bob

        Bob Barnes, Outreach Director
        Audubon-California's Kern River Preserve
        P.O. Box 953, Weldon, CA 93283
        FedEx/UPS: 18747 Hwy. 178, Weldon, CA 93283
        E-mail: krpfriends@...
        Phone: (760) 378-3044
        Web Sites:
        http://audubon.org/local/sanctuary/kernriver
        http://www.valleywild.org
      • Michael McQuerrey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27 10:20 AM
          Birders: Nothing of great note at the "Stink Ponds," this morning.
          Phalaropes - most likely Wilson's, although they spooked every time I
          got the scope out. Actually, flailing arms, trying to clear away the
          bugs probably caused the spooking more than getting the scope out.
          The news of note is that the ponds are drying up, leaving vast mud
          flats which are perfect for shorebirds. It's obviously too early, but
          the flats should be teeming with birds soon.
        • Michael McQuerrey
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
            Birders: The ponds at the Bakersfield Waste Water Treatment Plant
            continue to be in excellent shape for shorebirds. But still no
            rarities. Joining the high numbers of WESTERN SANDPIPERS and fewer
            LEAST SANDPIPERS were at least 3 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS. The plant is at
            the south end of Mount Vernon Ave., a mile south of Highway 58. You
            don't have to call ahead, I have found, but it would be good: 832-
            2851. They open at 7 on weekdays and 8 on weekends. The staff is
            very receptive to birders.
            125 miles north of Los Angeles, in the central valley
          • Michael McQuerrey
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
              Birders: Three SOLITARY SANDPIPERS hilighted the morning at the
              Bakersfield Waste Water Treatment Plant. One was in the middle pond
              on the west side of Mt. Vernon and the westerly pond, southwest
              corner. The other two were in a pond on the east side of Mt. Vernon,
              center westerly pond. The LESSER SCAUP continues in that same pond.