Pixley National Wildlife Refuge

  • Alison
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2004
      I have put together a little story with photos of my most recent trip to
      Pixley NWR in early December. http://natureali.org/pixley_trip.htm

      BTW, it has come to my attention that Pixley has been put on the block to
      become a refuge without protection from hunting. It is one of the few
      refuges in the national wildlife refuge system that truly is a place for
      wildlife to live in peace.

      Please visit this refuge either in person or virtually. Then let the Fish
      and Wildlife Service know your feelings about protecting this magical place
      that is home to 6-10 thousand wintering Sandhill Cranes.

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      760-379-4994
    • Ali Sheehey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006
        To anyone interested,

        On Thursday 2 February 2006, I plan on an afternoon foray to Pixley NWR. I
        plan to be at the refuge by 3 p.m. I hope to add additional species to the
        refuge list that I maintain. For those interested, Pam Williams, USFWS
        biologist, reported 5800 Sandhill Cranes on her 24 January census.

        My route to the refuge will go up over Greenhorn Mountain in search of the
        pair of Pileated Woodpeckers seen and heard by John Schmitt on the Kern
        Valley Christmas Bird Count and subsequently. The route to Pixley is via
        Jack Ranch Road to Ducor and to Pixley.

        Please contact me if you would like to rendezvous for late morning birding
        on route. I have room for 3 people in my car.

        Ali

        Alison Sheehey
        P.O. Box 153
        Weldon, CA 93283