1st year Glaucous-winged Gull at Mt Vernon sewer ponds

  • Nature Ali
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2003
      Hi all,

      Yesterday while birding the Mt Vernon Sewer Ponds in Bakersfield, I
      photographed a very pale gray gull in a field of White-faced Ibis. Upon
      inspection today, the primaries are not dark at all. The only bird matching
      the particular attributes of my photograph is the Glaucous-winged Gull. Also
      on the southeast corner of the northeast pond there was a small flock of
      Northern Pintails. In addition 2 Ross's Geese were accompanied by a Snow
      Goose.

      I am posting my entire bird list from the ponds and surrounding fields. I
      was at the ponds from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. so may have missed much.

      Mt Vernon Sewer Ponds

      Snow Goose
      Ross' Goose
      Green-winged Teal
      Mallard
      Northern Pintail
      Cinnamon Teal
      Northern Shoveler
      Gadwall
      American Wigeon
      Bufflehead
      Ruddy Duck
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      California Quail
      Pied-billed Grebe
      Eared Grebe
      Double-crested Cormorant
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret
      Cattle Egret
      White-faced Ibis
      Turkey Vulture
      American Coot
      Killdeer
      Black-necked Stilt
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Long-billed Curlew
      Long-billed Dowitcher
      Ring-billed Gull
      California Gull
      Glaucous-winged Gull
      Rock Pigeon (I)
      Mourning Dove
      Black Phoebe
      Say's Phoebe
      American Crow
      Common Raven
      American Pipit
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      Savannah Sparrow
      Song Sparrow
      Lincoln's Sparrow
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Western Meadowlark
      Brewer's Blackbird
      House Finch

      I will be out at Lake Ming in the morning, with my handy new camera, if
      anyone cares to stop by. Please note I have a new email address and website
      for anyone who keeps an address book.

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      Nature Ali - http://natureali.org
      Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.