Bakersfield WWTP

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2003
      Birders: Three ROSS' GEESE were among thousands of ducks at the
      Wastewater Treatment plant this morning. NORTHERN SHOVELERS were by
      far the most common species present, but MALLARDS, GADWALL, WIGEONS,
      RUDDY DUCKS, GREEN-WINGED and CINNAMON TEAL, EARED GREBES, RING-
      NECKED DUCKS, BUFFLEHEAD, and PIED-BILLED GREBES were all
      represented. In a flooded field nearby, we found 112 IBIS (WHITE-
      FACED, most likely, but too far away) and over 200 LONG-BILLED
      CURLEWS were accompanied by a dozen DOWITCHERS. A GREATER YELLOWLEGS
      fed along the shoreline of one pond. WESTERN SANDPIPERS were the
      only peeps present.
    • Michael McQuerrey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
        Birders: I'll be birding the Bakersfield Waste Water Treatment ponds
        in the morning, Saturday, 1/31 at about 8:00 a.m. Anyone interested
        in joining me is welcome to do so. For information or directions,
        please contact me offlist.
      • KRPFriends
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
          Kern Co. Birders:

          John Schmitt had the Northern Shrike later in the day on Sunday, February 1st.
          He made one last check and found the bird!

          John checked again since and did not relocate the bird. He said he has struck
          out on more than one day followed by sightings on other days.

          My understanding is that several birders had seen this bird through Friday,
          January 30th. The bird was not seen by several birders on Saturday, January
          31st. This was followed by John's February 1st sighting.

          As of today, there have been several reports ranging from the first date of
          observation on January 20th through February 1st.

          Best,

          Bob

          Bob Barnes, Outreach Director
          Audubon-California's Kern River Preserve
          P.O. Box 953, Weldon, CA 93283
          FedEx/UPS: 18747 Hwy. 178, Weldon, CA 93283
          E-mail: krpfriends@...
          Phone: (760) 378-3044
          Web Sites:
          http://audubon.org/local/sanctuary/kernriver
          http://www.valleywild.org
        • Michael McQuerrey
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
            Birders: Nothing of great note at the "Stink Ponds," this morning.
            Phalaropes - most likely Wilson's, although they spooked every time I
            got the scope out. Actually, flailing arms, trying to clear away the
            bugs probably caused the spooking more than getting the scope out.
            The news of note is that the ponds are drying up, leaving vast mud
            flats which are perfect for shorebirds. It's obviously too early, but
            the flats should be teeming with birds soon.
          • Michael McQuerrey
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
              Birders: The ponds at the Bakersfield Waste Water Treatment Plant
              continue to be in excellent shape for shorebirds. But still no
              rarities. Joining the high numbers of WESTERN SANDPIPERS and fewer
              LEAST SANDPIPERS were at least 3 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS. The plant is at
              the south end of Mount Vernon Ave., a mile south of Highway 58. You
              don't have to call ahead, I have found, but it would be good: 832-
              2851. They open at 7 on weekdays and 8 on weekends. The staff is
              very receptive to birders.
              125 miles north of Los Angeles, in the central valley
            • Michael McQuerrey
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3 11:29 AM
                Birders: Three SOLITARY SANDPIPERS hilighted the morning at the
                Bakersfield Waste Water Treatment Plant. One was in the middle pond
                on the west side of Mt. Vernon and the westerly pond, southwest
                corner. The other two were in a pond on the east side of Mt. Vernon,
                center westerly pond. The LESSER SCAUP continues in that same pond.