Kern River Preserve

  • carlagary
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2003
      This morning,while walking along the trail to Migrant Corner in the
      Kern River Preserve, I had a very stunning pair of Wood Ducks.
      This must be Wood Duck week in Kern Co.
      Other nice sightings were,singing House and Bewick's Wrens,Western
      Bluebirds,White-throated Swifts and lots of Anna's Hummingbirds.
      Good Birding,
      Gary File
    • Alison Sheehey
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2003
        The flock of Band-tailed Pigeons returned to my backyard today.

        I counted a dozen in the yard and another 15 in the oak woodland behind the
        yard.

        Today's casually observed yard birds.

        Turkey Vulture
        Red-tailed Hawk
        California Quail
        Band-tailed Pigeon
        Nuttall's Woodpecker
        Acorn Woodpecker
        White-breasted Nuthatch
        European Starling
        Western Scrub-Jay
        Common Raven
        Oak Titmouse
        Spotted Towhee
        Dark-eyed Junco - Slate-colored, Gray-headed, Oregon races
        House Finch
        House Sparrow

        Out on Lake Isabella the flock of American White Pelicans numbering above 75
        in the cove by Hanning Flat. Most are sporting breeding knobs and although I
        really did not tell the reporter for the Californian that the birds bred up
        here last year, the possibility that they will attempt nesting this year
        seems strong. Keep your eyes peeled and John Wilson and myself informed if
        you can confirm.

        Alison Sheehey
        Mountain Mesa

        Join Tri-County Natural History for wildflower, wildlife and geology
        reports. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriCountyNaturalHistory