Kern CBC Data Tidbits

  • KRPFriends
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2003

      Following are some tidbits of information I gleaned from reviewing the
      Christmas Bird Count web site. When I checked a few days ago, the results from
      1909 Christmas Bird Counts had been entered from the U.S., Canada, and Latin
      America. 112 (of an expected 119) had been entered from California. Following
      are some stats from Kern County CBCs and the nearby Springville, Tulare
      County,
      CBC that I compile. I have fun with this kind of stuff. I am hopeful some of
      you will, too.

      Only those species with counts ranking in the top five in California or
      Overall
      are included.

      WE'RE #1!: Some counts had the highest number of individuals for a particular
      species from among all CBCs conducted throughout the hemisphere: Rose-ringed
      Parakeet 184 (Bakersfield), Western Screech Owl 44 (Springville), Common
      Poorwill 1 (Springville - tied with 3 other CBCs), and Red-breasted Sapsucker
      30 (Springville).

      WE'RE #2!: Kern River Valley had the highest number of Common Ravens in the
      U.S. with 1642 and was #2 to a CBC in Canada. South Fork Valley had the 2nd
      highest number of Tricolored Blackbirds overall (behind another California
      CBC)
      with 2593. Bakersfield had the 2nd highest number of White-throated Swifts
      overall with 312.

      KEY: OVERALL - out of 1909 CBCs, CA - out of 112 CBCs in California

      WESTERN GREBE
      Kern River Valley CBC - 5th in CA with 1670

      CATTLE EGRET
      Bakersfield CBC - 3rd in CA with 211

      BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON
      Buena Vista CBC - 2nd in CA and 3rd OVERALL with 231

      RING-NECKED DUCK
      Bakersfield CBC - 5th in CA with 350

      COMMON MERGANSER
      Buena Vista CBC - 1st in CA with 911
      Kern River Valley CBC - 4th in CA with 361

      NORTHERN GOSHAWK
      China Lake CBC - Tied for 2nd in CA with 1

      GOLDEN EAGLE
      Springville CBC - 3rd in CA with 11

      CALIFORNIA QUAIL
      Kern River Valley CBC - 4th in CA with 804
      Springville CBC - 5th in CA with 650

      SPOTTED DOVE
      Bakersfield CBC - 2nd in CA and 5th OVERALL with 28

      EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE
      China Lake CBC - 5th in CA with 2

      MOURNING DOVE
      China Lake CBC - 1st in CA with 1106

      INCA DOVE
      China Lake CBC - 1 of 3 in CA with 1

      ROSE-RINGED PARAKEET
      Bakersfield CBC - 1st OVERALL with 184

      WESTERN-SCREECH OWL
      Springville CBC - 1st OVERALL with 44

      LONG-EARED OWL
      China Lake CBC - 1st in CA with 4

      COMMON POORWILL
      Springville CBC - Tied for 1st OVERALL (with 3 others) with 1

      WHITE-THROATED SWIFT
      Bakersfield CBC - 1st in CA and 2nd OVERALL with 312

      COSTA'S HUMMINGBIRD
      China Lake CBC - 5th in CA with 7

      ACORN WOODPECKER
      Bear Valley Springs CBC - 5th in CA with 576

      RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER
      Kern River Valley CBC - Tied for 3rd in CA with 2

      RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER
      Springville CBC - 1st OVERALL with 30

      LADDER-BACKED WOODPECKER
      South Fork Valley CBC - 3rd in CA with 7

      VERMILION FLYCATCHER
      China Lake CBC - 2nd in CA with 2

      LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
      Buena Vista CBC - 5th in CA with 45

      PINYON JAY
      South Fork Valley CBC - 2nd in CA with 106

      COMMON RAVEN
      Kern River Valley CBC - 1st in the US with 1642
      China Lake CBC - 5th in CA with 539

      VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW
      Bakersfield CBC - 3rd in CA with 64

      VERDIN
      Chine Lake CBC - 3rd in CA with 16

      WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH
      Bear Valley Springs CBC - 2nd in CA with 124
      Springville CBC - 5th in CA with 85

      CACTUS WREN
      South Fork Valley CBC - 4th in CA with 21

      ROCK WREN
      Kern River Valley CBC - 1st in CA with 31
      Bear Valley Springs CBC - 4th in CA with 22

      CANYON WREN
      Kern River Valley CBC - 3rd in CA with 15

      AMERICAN DIPPER
      Kern River Valley CBC - 1st CA with 12
      Bakersfield CBC - 4th in CA with 6

      GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET
      Springville CBC - 4th in CA with 190

      MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD
      Bakersfield CBC - 5th in CA with 222

      TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE
      Springville CBC - 5th in CA with 15

      SAGE THRASHER
      Bear Valley Springs CBC - 1st in CA with 1 (only two CBCs in CA reported this
      species on count day)
      Kern River Valley CBC - Count Week report

      LE CONTE'S THRASHER
      Buena Vista CBC - Tied for 2nd in CA with 1 (Three CA CBCs had this species),
      tied for 5th OVERALL
      Red Rock Canyon CBC - Tied for 2nd in CA with 1 (Three CA CBCs had this
      species), tied for 5th OVERALL

      AMERICAN PIPIT
      Buena Vista CBC - 4th in CA with 833

      PHAINOPEPLA
      Kern River Valley CBC - 4th in CA with 47

      CHIPPING SPARROW
      Springville CBC - 1st in CA with 215 (almost all of these at River Island Golf
      Course, a traditional spot for large wintering numbers of this species)

      BREWER'S SPARROW
      China Lake CBC - 1 of 3 CBCs in CA with 1

      VESPER SPARROW
      Springville CBC - 1st in CA with 49

      LARK SPARROW
      Bakersfield CBC - 5th in CA with 305

      BLACK-THROATED SPARROW
      Butterbredt Spring CBC - 5th in CA with 7

      SAGE SPARROW
      Red Rock Canyon CBC - 1st in CA and 3rd OVERALL with 85
      Butterbredt Spring CBC - 2nd in CA and 5th OVERALL with 59

      SAVANNAH SPARROW
      Buena Vista CBC - 5th in CA with 793

      HARRIS'S SPARROW
      Red Rock Canyon CBC - 1 of 6 CBCs in CA with 1

      WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW
      Bakersfield CBC - 4th in CA with 2095

      DARK-EYED JUNCO
      Springville CBC - 1st in CA with 1562

      DARK-EYED (OREGON) JUNCO
      Kern River Valley CBC - 3rd in CA with 1,428

      TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD
      South Fork Valley CBC - 2nd OVERALL with 2593

      RUSTY BLACKBIRD
      China Lake CBC - 1 of 2 CBCs in CA with 1

      LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH
      Bear Valley Spring CBC - Tied for 3rd in CA with 7
      Springville CBC - Tied for 3rd in CA with 7

      AMERICAN GOLDFINCH
      Bakersfield CBC - 4th in CA with 479

      Bob Barnes, Outreach Director
      Audubon-California's Kern River Preserve
      P.O. Box 953, Weldon, CA 93283
      FedEx/UPS: 18747 Hwy. 178, Weldon, CA 93283
      E-mail: krpfriends@...
      Phone: (760) 378-3044
      Web Sites:
      http://www.kernriverpreserve.org