Springville, Kern Valley, & South Fork Valley CBCs

  • KRPFriends
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2002

      I apologize for any double postings. Also, I will be sending two-three e-mails
      your way over the next few days ... Christmas Bird Counts, Kern River Valley
      BioFest, etc. Please indulge me; especially since I haven't sent the e-mail
      bug
      your way since September's Vulture Fest! :).

      This e-mail will give information on three Christmas Bird Counts (CBCs) I am
      particularly hopeful of having your participation. I will also list other CBCs
      in our area of which I am aware. Please RSVP your intentions to me or the
      others listed to help us in our planning. Thanks.

      The three counts of primary solicitation for me are:
      Saturday, December 14, 2002
      Springville, Tulare County (140-145 species per count, flat out beautiful,
      400'-7000' elevation, some "goodies" every year, great access)
      Compiler: Bob Barnes (bbarnes@...)

      Saturday, December 28, 2002
      Kern River Valley, Kern County (110-132 species per count, 2300'-7000'
      elevation, Isabella Reservoir, Greenhorns, South Fork)
      Compiler: Bob Barnes (bbarnes@...)

      Sunday, December 29, 2002
      South Fork Valley, Kern County (95-120 species per count, 2600'-7000'
      elevation, Kern River Preserve, Canebrake ER, Mojave desert below Walker Pass
      and down Kelso Valley Road)
      Compiler: Denise La Berteaux (EREMICO@...)

      I invite you to Springville because many who have attended the count say it is
      one of their favorite for its beauty and bird richness. Also, we have such
      outstanding access that many areas have never been covered. I would like to
      see
      what would happen if we are able to get counters throughout the CBC circle.

      I invite you to Kern River Valley and South Fork Valley because together they
      offer a wide spectrum of species from west side Sierra to Mojave desert and
      because I am very interested in gathering as much information as possible on
      winter distribution in the Kern River Valley. Besides, as with most non-urban
      CBCs, we can use all the help we can get!

      For last year's or any prior year's CBC results go to:
      www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/.

      CBCs in Fresno (2), Kern (9), and Tulare (2) Counties ...
      Sunday, December 15 - Bakersfield (135-150 species, usually lots of
      "goodies")
      E: jcwilson@... (John Wilson)
      Sunday, December 15 - China Lake (Ridgecrest) E: donmoore@... (Don
      Moore)
      Sunday, December 15 - Sequoia NP E: Rachel_Mazur@... (Rachel Mazur)
      Thursday, December 19 - Red Rock E: bvsbird@... (Clark & Jean
      Moore)

      Saturday, December 21 - Butterbredt E: cgbraggjr@... (Chuck Bragg)
      Sunday, December 22 - Buena Vista E: naturali@... (Alison Sheehey)
      Thursday, December 26 - Tehachapi E: bvsbird@... (Clark & Jean
      Moore
      for Larry Parmeter)
      Friday, December 27 - Bear Valley Springs E: bvsbird@... (Clark &
      Jean Moore)
      Saturday, December 28 - Kern River Valley E: bbarnes@... (Bob
      Barnes)
      Sunday, December 29 - Milburn/Freson E: lanparmeter@...
      Sunday, December 29 - South Fork Valley E: EREMICO@... (Denise La
      Berteaux)
      Tuesday, December 31 - Lost Lake/Fresno E: frankg@... (Frank
      Gibson)

      Bob Barnes, Outreach Director
      Audubon-California's Kern River Preserve
      P.O. Box 953, Weldon, CA 93283
      FedEx/UPS: 18747 Hwy. 178, Weldon, CA 93283
      E-mail: krpfriends@...
      Phone: (760) 378-3044
      Web Sites:
      http://www.kernriverpreserve.org