Interesting insights

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2002
      Here are some comments for a Texbirder who did his homework.
      ---> Texbird help file http://www.texbirds.org <---

      Texbirders,

      Mark was right about the AOU 43rd Supplement Splits for Wilson's
      Snipe and
      Black-crested Titmouse being included but "absolutely up-to-date"
      isn't
      quite the phrase I would use to describe the taxonomy. I picked up
      the new
      edition this weekend. When I saw it I checked immediately to see if
      the 2002
      AOU 43rd Supplement changes were there by just checking for the
      splits on
      Snipe and Titmouse - they were, so I bought it. Later I went through
      the
      book looking for the rest of the name changes that were also in the
      AOU 43rd
      Supplement. Some were there and some were surprisingly not. Here's
      what I
      found:

      2002 AOU Name changes:
      Roseate Spoonbill changed from Ajaja ajaja to Platalea ajaja - NGS
      missed
      this one
      Purple Gallinule changed from Porphyrula martinica to Porphyrio
      martinica -
      NGS missed this one
      Red Phalarope changed from Phalaropus fulicaria to Phalaropus
      fulicarius -
      NGS missed this one
      Eared Trogon renamed to Eared Quetzal - NGS got it right
      Blue Grosbeak changed from Guiraca caerulea to Passerina caerulea -
      NGS got
      it right

      2002 AOU Splits:
      *Dark-rumped Petrel split to Hawaiian Petrel and Galapagos Petrel -
      NGS got
      it right
      *Common Snipe split to Wilson's Snipe Gallinago delicata and Common
      Snipe
      Gallinago gallinago - NGS shows the split but got the scientific name
      for
      Wilson's Snipe wrong, showing both as Gallinago gallinago
      *Tufted Titmouse split into Tufted Titmouse Baeolophus bicolor and
      Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus - NGS got it right

      Tracy Keltonic
      Houston Tex