Kern Summer Rarity: 7/3/13 Bald Eagle

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2013

      Heading home to Ridgecrest from a 3 hour morning meeting in
      Kernville, I stopped at a pull-out alongside Sierra Way between
      Isabella Reservoir's Robinson Cove and Stine Cove to count the
      American White Pelicans I saw on a gravel bar/mud bar/sand bar (FYI:
      There were 27 of them.). Before getting back in the car I scanned the
      area and quickly came upon an adult Bald Eagle perched on a snag near
      the reservoir shoreline. The observation period was from 11:55am
      through 12:10am.

      Bald Eagle is rare in Kern County in summer with no verified reports
      of nesting for many, many years. Here are the three prior summer
      reports for Kern County I just now found in the eBird database (free
      for viewing by anyone who cares to do so). ALL reports are for
      Isabella Reservoir (AKA Lake Isabella). And, ALL Isabella Reservoir
      reports are for the South Fork Kern River watershed arm of the
      reservoir. Not included are the few May, early June, and September reports.

      19 Jun 03 - 1 immature - South Fork Wildlife Area--South - Bob Barnes

      07 Jul 12 - 1 adult - South Fork Wildlife Area--Hanning Flat - Tim
      Schreckengost

      20 Aug 12 - 1 adult - Kissack Cove (AKA Kissack Bay) - Alex Rinkert

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California

      Cell: 760-382-1260