Butterbredt, Silver Saddle & CerroCoso

  • quailnut
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2013
      I arrived at Butterbredt late at 7:20 and found two nice cowboys trying to get a feisty young Angus bull out of the spring enclosure which delayed my birding about 45 minutes and stirred things up pretty well. It hopped the fence yesterday and they never did get it into the trailer while I was there. Last seen heading north up Butterbredt road with one cowboy trailing behind. I still managed to find a second-year male AMERICAN REDSTART and heard a calling RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH as the best birds. Several Swainson's Thrushes, Willow and Pacific-slope Flycatchers and a couple of Wilson's Warblers were the other notables. Over at Gallileo things were fairly slow with 7 Willow Flycatchers, one Black-headed Grosbeak, two Wilson's Warblers, 5 Western Wood-pewees and Ken and Brenda Kyle who showed me where to find the male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK. It was hanging out in a eucalyptus on the north side of the little parking lot on the north side of the stables where there's a power line on the south side of the tree. I headed to the college to look for Susan Steele's warbler without luck but I did photograph a vireo that I believe is a RED-EYED VIREO in the pines along the building east of the sculpture garden with the vinca underneath. Wide white supercilium, dark eye line, dark eye, white upper breast, bright yellow ventral area, dark legs, couldn't see the crown. It moved very slowly and was hard to relocate so good luck to anyone looking for it. Only one Wilson's Warbler otherwise. Gary Woods-Fresno