Belated report of Indigo Bunting at Cerro Coso

  • francistoldi
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2013
      Hello Kern Birders!

      It's always a treat for an out of town birder to spend some time in your very bird rich county. Peter Metropulos and I made a brief pass through Kern County on May 26, 2013, stopping at California City (10 a.m. to Noon) and Cerro Coso Community College (2-3 p.m.). We were traveling without internet or smartphone.

      In California City we also found the previously mentioned NORTHERN PARULA in the pines adjacent to (north?) of the abandoned hotel, just shy of the golf course. Otherwise there was a nice selection of western migrants here and there, including 3 WILLOW FLYCATCHERS. Are the ROSS'S GOOSE, SNOW GOOSE and CACKLING GOOSE mixed in with the park waterfowl continuing stragglers, or perhaps part of the permanent collection?

      At Cerro Coso--and what a lovely place that is to bird on the sculpture garden lawn--we wandered about enjoying the many western migrants, until Peter's eagle eye spotted a female INDIGO BUNTING on the lawn near the little amphitheater, very loosely associating with a Chipping Sparrow. There was also a pair of VERDIN with a "nesty" look to them (serious scientific term, that) near the solar panels at the top of the campus. We weren't sure about the status of those in our area.

      Francis Toldi
      San Mateo, CA