Westernmost Ladder-backed Woodpecker Sightings

  • Jamie Chavez
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2013
      Hi Kern birders,

      I was corresponding with a birder about a purported Ladder-backed
      Woodpecker from the Santa Barbara area and informed the observer that
      Nuttall's is the woodpecker he saw and added that the closest Ladder-backed
      sightings would be in Kern or Los Angeles counties. I added that the most
      likely spot a Ladder-backed might approach SBA county would be in the
      eastern portion in the more arid canyons bordering SBA, SLO, VEN and KER.
      To my knowledge there is no record in VEN county.

      By looking at eBird maps for these areas you can surmise my theory that a
      Ladder-backed might appear in this four-corners area by a few markers for
      this species near the spot I mention. However, this prompted me to question
      the validity of a few of these since there are no specific comments in the
      checklists and I would think a Ladder-backed Woodpecker "straying" this far
      west might be worthy of better documentation. A couple of others along I-5
      near Fort Tejon seem more likely moving up from the valley east of the
      mountains. Not knowing the details about these westernmost entries what can
      you tell me about the likelihood of Ladder-backed Woodpecker approaching
      the Maricopa/Bitter Creek area of Kern county? Any chance these are valid?
      What is the documented westernmost sighting for this species?

      --
      Jamie Chavez
      Santa Maria, CA

    • JC
      Message 2 of 2 , May 25, 2013
        I meant to attach the eBird map link in my previous post. It is here:

        http://ebird.org/ebird/ca/map/labwoo?bmo=01&emo=12&byr=1900&eyr=2013&env.minX=-120.195&env.minY=34.79&env.maxX=-117.617&env.maxY=35.799&gp=true

        Jamie Chavez
        Santa Maria, CA