Aberrant Finch at Butterbredt 12 May

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2013
      Hi:

      A group of 8 birders including Tom Eastman and I observed an aberrant
      finch in the leafless portion of the large cottonwood found across
      the wash from the "bluff" at the lower end of the Butterbredt main
      spring area this past Sunday morning, May 12, 2013.

      Have any kerncobirding subscribers ever had experience with the
      following aberration?

      This was an aberrant finch which had a pink goldfinch-like bill, pink
      legs, faint wingbars, some yellow wash in the throat area, and
      American Goldfinch-like song (softer than expected). Otherwise this
      individual was ENTIRELY uniform grayish in color (undersides, upper
      sides, wings). The feathers appeared fully-developed. If I had to bet
      my life (which thankfully I do not have to do! :), I would go with
      American Goldfinch. But, I am just not sure!

      Please share your thoughts via reply email if you care to do so.

      Thank you!

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California