CCCC rarities

  • Bob and Susan Steele
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2002
      A good day at Cerro Coso Community College in Ridgecrest. Highlights were
      two winter wrens, a clay-colored sparrow, and blackpoll warbler.

      The winter wrens are in the vinca behind (east) of the sculpture garden. I
      had one this morning and Bob Steele and Joyce Seibold noted that there were
      actually 2 later in the day.

      The clay-colored sparrow is an immature bird that is hanging out with the
      mixed sparrow flock on the sculpture garden lawn.

      The blackpoll warbler is south of the sculpture garden. It hangs out in the
      cottonwoods on the south side of the exit road, towards the west edge. It
      spends alot of time on the ground searching for moths which gives some
      killer views. I had it within 10' of me on several occasions. Close enough
      to see the yellow feet.

      The rest of the list

      hermit warbler -- very rare in fall
      Townsend's warbler -- rare in fall
      c. yellowthroat
      Nashville warbler -- late bird for the valley
      oc warbler -- 18
      yr warbler -- 16
      yellow warbler --3
      Wilson's warbler -- 3
      chipping sparrow -- 11
      lark sparrow -- 3
      DE junco -- Oregon 5
      DE junco -- gray headed 2 -- rare form for valley
      savanah sparrow --13
      Lincoln's sparrow -- 3
      Brewer's sparrow -- 2
      wc sparrow -- 11