Type 2 Red Crossbills on Frazier Mountain

  • Lance Benner
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2013
      Hi Everyone,Following the recent report by Karl Krause of red crossbills
      on Frazier Mountain, I drove up there this morning and found ten of them
      drinking water from a large puddle on road 8N24 2.8 miles east of the
      8N04/8N24 junction just barely inside Kern County (i.e., only slightly
      north of the Ventura/Kern County line). Roan 8N24 crosses back and
      forth across the county line over a distance of about 5 miles. The
      birds were at an altitude of about 7500 feet on the eastern side of
      Frazier Mountain in an area with extensive stands of Jeffrey Pines.I got
      a recording with an Olympus LS-10 recorder equipped with a Sennheiser
      MKE-400 short shotgun microphone, generated a sonogram with the Raven
      Lite software, and found that the birds were type 2s. Most of them were
      males, but mixed in among them was one adult female. There was also one
      immature male that had a mostly brown body with some splotches of red on
      its head and chest, strongly suggesting that the birds recently nested
      in nearby.

      To the best of my knowledge, this is the first record for type 2 red
      crossbills in Kern County and it follows up on the recent discovery of
      type 3s by Susan Steele in Ridgecrest in April.The eBird checklist
      appears below. I also uploaded the recording to the Xeno-Canto website

      Lance Benner
      Altadena, CA