Kern Birdiest Coverage/Remaining Coverage
It will be "Game On!" regarding the Kern Birdiest count starting at
3:30pm this afternoon. There has been excellent response thus far
with many other participants no doubt responding when they submit
their lists of species seen through 3:30pm this Sunday, May 5th.
Anyone who is willing is asked to send me a list of species detected
after 3:30pm today, Thursday, so they can be included in the first
species update planned to be sent out pre-dawn tomorrow, Friday morning.
Following are am and pm time periods for selected birding areas when
coverage is currently known and not known. These are all areas that
could stand sustained coverage as many mornings and afternoons as possible.
* Bakersfield Sewage Ponds - Coverage planned Thurs after 3:30pm
covered thus far; time periods still meriting coverage are Fri am &
pm, Sat am & pm, Sun am & pm ('til 3:30pm)
* Beale Park/Spotted Dove - Coverage plannedThurs after 3:30pm;
time periods still meriting coverage are Fri am & pm, Sat am & pm,
Sun am & pm ('til 3:30pm) still open.
* Kern River County Park (Hart Park, Lake Ming) - Coverage
planned Fri am thus far; time periods still meriting coverage are Thu
after 3:30pm, Fri am, Fri pm, Sat am, Sat pm, Sun am, Sun until 3:30pm.
BEAR VALLEY SPRINGS & TEHACHAPI
* Several local birders plan to cover this region during the
count period suggesting the best Birdiest list to date for there will result.
* Coverage planned Fri am, Sun am have coverage; late am and
entire pm time slots are open for coverage
* Coverage planned Thu pm, Fri am, Sat am, and Sun am; afternoons
are still open for coverage
CERRO COSO COMMUNITY COLLEGE
* Coverage planned Fri & Sat; with Thu pm and Sun through 3:30pm
still open for coverage
* Coverage planned Thu pm and Sat am; with Fri am, Fri pm, Sun
am, Sun pm until 3:30pm still meriting coverage
COMMON GROUND-DOVE AREAS
* Coverage needed until at least one is found
* Coverage planned Thu pm, Fri am, Sat am, Sun am; other
afternoons are still open for coverage
* Coverage is planned Thu pm, Fri am, Fri pm, Sat am, Sat pm are
covered; still meriting coverage Sun until 3:30pm
HWY 41 (YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE)
* Plans for tries for Yellow-billed Magpie are set for Thu pm & Fri
HWY 178 OVER WALKER PASS & CHIMNEY PEAK ROAD
* Planned coverage Saturday
INDIAN WELLS VALLEY
* Coverage is planned Fri am & pm, Sat am & pm (Kerncrest Audubon
Society Bird-a-thon); with Sun am & Sun until 3:30pm still open
(especially Cerro Coso Community College for migrants and vagrants)
KERN NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
* Coverage is planned Thu after 3:30pm, Fri am, Fri pm, Sat am
covered; with Sat pm, Sun am, Sun pm until 3:30 still open
KERN RIVER VALLEY
* Coverage is planned Thu am, Fri am, Fri pm, Sat am & pm
(Kerncrest Audubon Society Bird-a-thon); with Sun am & Sun until
3:30pm still meriting coverage
* Coverage os planned Friday
* Coverage is planned Fri. Not sure if any other days are covered.
* Coverage is planned Sunday
* Coverage is planned Thu, Fri, Sat nights and Fri, Sat, Sun
early mornings on Breckenridge Mtn and in the Greenhorn Mtns covered;
all other areas in the county are open for coverage all three nights
and early mornings
SOUTH FORK KERN RIVER VALLEY
* Coverage planned Fri am, Sat am, Sun am
* Coverage planned by several birders to go after missing species
from the overall Birdiest list on Sunday until 3:30pm.
TLDD SOUTH EVAPORATION PONDS (private)
* Planned Coverage Saturday & Sunday
WIND WOLVES PRESERVE
* POSSIBLE (50/50) coverage Friday
* In the flurry which accompanies such endeavors, I may have
forgotten areas I intended to mention.
Happy & Productive Birding,
Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]