Afternoon Butterbredt (4/8/13)

  • Jimmy McMorran
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2013
      Hi Birders,

      I was passing through the area and decided to stop by Butterbredt Spring
      this afternoon, April 8. I arrived at approximately 2:15pm and was about to
      leave at 3:15pm, but thought where am I going, it's really windy
      everywhere. So I decided to just hang out in the understory for awhile to
      see if I missed anything. I finally made my way to the car around 4:45pm
      without adding anything new to what I had already detected (until I got to
      the car). For the time of day I was there, I saw a decent amount of bird
      activity and made me wonder if this morning was a good flight of early
      migrants through the canyon with these high winds? My highlights were a
      beautiful male Summer Tanager (which I thought seemed really early?),
      and (2) Swainson's Hawk's (seen and photo'd as I got back to my
      car). However, everything I observed was a treat.
      Swainson's Hawk photos here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/35283997@N07/8632732355/in/photostream

      An eBird checklist is below:

      Butterbredt Springs, Kern, US-CA
      Apr 8, 2013 2:15 PM - 5:00 PM
      Protocol: Traveling
      0.25 mile(s)
      24 species (+2 other taxa)
      Turkey Vulture 3
      Swainson's Hawk 2
      Red-tailed Hawk (Western) 1
      Mourning Dove 2
      Hammond's Flycatcher 3
      Gray Flycatcher 1
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher 2 Heard Calling
      Pacific-slope/Cordilleran Flycatcher (Western Flycatcher) 2 Silent
      Black Phoebe 1
      Cassin's Vireo 1
      Bewick's Wren 1
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3
      Hermit Thrush 2
      American Robin 1
      Nashville Warbler 1
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 1
      Black-throated Gray Warbler 1
      Wilson's Warbler 10
      Sage Sparrow 5
      Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 1
      Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) 1
      Lincoln's Sparrow 3
      White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's) 30
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 1
      Summer Tanager 1 Seen for about 5 seconds total. An all red (with a
      small patch of yellow at the extreme lower belly into the vent) North
      American tanager first seen seen in flight and then perching in the
      mid-story of the cottonwoods. A red flash initially caught my eye, and when
      it perched it was briefly in the open then quickly buried itself not to be
      seen again. I was trying to figure out what I saw rather than get a
      picture in this quick scenario, unfortunately. I did ID it as Summer
      Tanager vs. Hepatic as it did not have a dusky cheek, and did and a paler
      looking, large bill than that of a Hepatic. It was not a Western Tanager
      that I would have expected far more than this species.
      Lawrence's Goldfinch 2