Red Crossbills Continue in Onyx

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17 12:37 PM

      I birded Scodie Park in Onyx from 1045am-10:59am this morning. As I
      got ready to leave the SE corner of the park to get on the street I
      told myself to roll down the windows to listen while driving the
      south and east sides. At 11:01 am the NE corner of the park I
      heard swirl of RED CROSSBILLS overhead which I could not see due to
      the roof of the car blocking my view. Part of the noise stayed
      overhead while another part flew into the second (tall) pine tree in
      from the NE corner and disappeared. I concluded there were at least
      two (one overhead and one which flew into the tree) and based on the
      timing and volume of the calling, there may have been one to several
      more. I did not call anyone who would like to see this species in
      Kern County in 2013 because I inadvertently left my phone at home in
      Ridgecrest.

      At least one RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH continued.

      I did NOT find the male WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER found by Alison
      Sheehey and also observed by Susan Steele last week. I heard, light
      foraging tapping in the row of trees where the "Willy Sap" (in homage
      to Wes Fritz! :) was observed. But, I could not find it; especially
      after the tapping stopped rather quickly.

      A RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER continued in one of the pine trees on the
      east side of the park.

      Continued Happy & Productive Birding,

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California