1/1/13: Ridgecrest Red Crossbills

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2013

      I made a relatively brief, 11:15am-11:55am visit to Desert Memorial
      Park in Ridgecrest this morning to see if the RED CROSSBILLS there in
      December remained into the new year. They did. I had a high count o
      23 individuals which equals highest December 2012 count made by Susan
      Steele. Also present were at least 4 LONG-EARED OWLS in two roost
      trees and 6 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES.

      A two day late report is of 6 AMERICAN DIPPERS I counted along the
      Kern River in the short distance (0.25-0.3 miles?) from Isabella
      Reservoir's Main Dam down to Slippery Rock Launch during the 12/30/12
      Kern River Valley Christmas Bird Count. Other species and numbers
      reported for this CBC were 700+ COMMON MERGANSERS, 4 RED-BREASTED
      MERGANSERS (Tim Ludwick), over 124+ AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS, and 1500
      EARED GREBES on Isabella Reservoir plus OSPREYS and BALD EAGLES.
      There are no doubt other highlights which I do not recall or of which
      I am not aware. Alison Sheehey will be compiling this count between
      remaining CBCs and perhaps after.

      Happy New Year 2013.

      Continued Happy & Productive Birding,

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California