10/31/12: Beale Park Vireo & Western Tanager

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2012

      Just back from an afternoon meeting at Caltrans in downtown Los
      Angeles. Decided to leave early (5:30am) this morning to make a side
      trip to bird Bakersfield until 10:30am.

      The ponds at Edison Rd and Muller Rd are picking up with no
      unexpected species. The Kern Santation Authority has plowed the pond
      next to the Hwy 58 frontage road just west of Oswell. No longer is
      there well-developed vegetation. There were a few low areas with
      water. Seventeen Cattle Egrets were the highlight for me.

      I went to Beale Park at the junction of Oleander & Dracena south of
      California Ave to search for Spotted Dove. After 80 minutes of
      looking and listening, I did NOT find Spotted Dove or any other doves
      (Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Eurasian Collared-Dove). However, while
      wandering around I did tally five Orange-crowned Warblers. In Beale
      Park itself, I heard then saw a female WESTERN TANAGER. This is where
      Alison Sheehey found and photographed a female Western Tanager early
      enough last early spring that it may have represented a wintering
      individual rather than a very early spring migrant. Perhaps the
      Western Tanager detected today will stick around into this late fall
      for the Bakersfield Christmas Bird Count. I guess it is even possible
      that today's tanager was the same one found by Alison and has
      returned for a second winter.

      Also at Beale Park was a SINGING "SOLITARY" VIREO. It stopped singing
      when I tried to position myself to view it without looking into the
      bright morning sunlight. I decided to walk away to give it a chance
      to start singing again. After five minutes, I returned to hear the
      vireo singing again. I followed the song across the west side of
      Oleander to the sidewalk in front of a private yard. I could not find
      it before it stopped singing again. I waited at a distance for
      several minutes to hear it sing again before I felt the need to head
      to Los Angeles. Perhaps a Bakersfield birder will relocate and ID the
      vireo to species and find the Western Tanager as well. If not, I
      guess the next check will be during the CBC, assuming the park is in
      the CBC circle!

      Continued Happy & Productive Birding,

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California
      24/7 Cellular Phone Number: 760-382-1260