Yellow billed cuckoo help

  • duckypami
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2012
      Can someone fire me off an email with directions toward a couple of reliable sites for the Yellow-billed Cuckoo by the Audubon Kern preserve/Lake Isabella area. I seem them reported on eBird but they seem to be all over the place. I need one for my life list and will be traveling up there late next week.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2012
        Hi:

        This past Wednesday, July 27th Pam Quittmeyer,
        Redlands CA birder, posted to kerncobirding
        asking for specific locations to seek
        Yellow-billed Cuckoo on Audubon-California Kern
        River Preserve land in the South Fork Kern River
        Valley in Weldon. I responded with my thoughts
        which some other kerncobirding subscribers might have offered, too.
        Yesterday, Saturday, Pam was successful in her quest!

        At 04:00 PM 7/28/2012, Pam O wrote:
        >Thanks so much for your help, I got the birds
        >about 50 yards west of the Sierra Way bridge in
        >the riverbed area. I was really quiet and very
        >respectful. Easy to hear them, like you said,
        >hard to see them. I waited around quietly until
        >I caught sight of a yellow bill cooing and got
        >out of there quickly. Beautiful day.

        Of course, I am very glad Pam met with success at
        8am. Such is not always the case. I took a Kern
        Audubon Society group both upriver and down river
        from the Sierra Way bridge on July 15th without
        success. I also took a Los Angeles Audubon
        Society group on cuckoo quests most of each
        morning both June 23 & 24 to four known areas of
        occurrence this year without success! Pam proved
        it is a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

        Maybe next time I'll just tell Kern Audubon
        Society and Los Angeles Audubon Society groups
        where to look on their own so as to possibly give
        them a better chance of seeing cuckoos without me than with me! :)

        As I wrote to Pam, I have found my best success
        with finding Yellow-billed Cuckoos to be from
        mid-July through to mid-August which appears to
        be the period when the most individuals are found
        on the Kern River Preserve or the adjacent South
        Fork Wildlife Area bordering the preserve on the
        west. So, there is still time to try for
        Yellow-billed Cuckoo in Kern Co. this 2012 breeding/nesting season.

        Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California