Re: [kerncobirding] Kern Co (RIdgecrest) Mating White-winged Doves-7/11/12

  • yakimapark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2012
      White winged doves are sooooo neat!!! They saved my sanity during a
      period of 19 days of 120 degrees every day while living in Big Bend. Dozens
      would roost in the daytime in the large cottonwoods along the Rio Grande- and
      a few in the mesquite in my back yard and coooo. Hearing them made it
      feel cooler than 120! I think if it weren't for them- I might have lost my
      mind from the heat???

      I have been surprised to see they are way up here. They were not in
      northern NM where I liived last- which was just about due east of here?!?!

      Marcia H. Wolfe

      President and Certified Senior Ecologist, ESA

      MH Wolfe and Associates
      Environmental Consulting, Inc.
      POB 10254
      Bakersfield, CA 93389

      Phone 661-837-1169
      Fax 661-837-8467
      Cell 805-839-4142

      yakimapark@...
      mwolfe@...

      Confidentiality Note:
      This and any accompanying pages contain information that is confidential
      and privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual
      or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, then be
      aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
      accompanying document (or the information contained in it) is prohibited.
      If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
      our offices immediately so that we can arrange for retrieval at no cost to
      you.

      In a message dated 7/11/2012 6:02:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      bbarnes@... writes:

      Hi:

      Encar Card reports A PAIR OF WHITE-WINGED DOVES WERE ENGAGED IN
      COURTSHIP BEHAVIOR (BILLING & CALLING) FOLLOWED BY MATING in the tree
      just over the fence in our next door neighbor's yard c. 7am this
      morning, Wednesday, July 11, 2012! So, we now know for sure there is
      a mated pair among the maximum of three individual White-winged Doves
      detected from our yard at the same time at least once this
      breeding/nesting season. And, the pair is at least attempting to
      successfully nest in Kern County. During Encar's five minute
      observation of the doves' mating behavior she reports she noticed the
      male was larger than the female and there was a noticeable difference
      in the volume of their calls with the female giving quieter calls
      than the louder male as they were calling and billing. Cool!

      Continued Happy & Productive Birding,

      Bob Barnes, 1009 Las Cruces Ave, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California