3-hat trick day

  • Alison Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2002
      Monday, August 5 was a three hat trick day. (Life, State, County plus
      one backyard)

      I had the opportunity to go with Don Mitchell to the Greenhorn's where
      he banded hummingbirds. This is the only real opportunity to see and
      identify Allen's Hummingbirds when they are in the hand. Don caught 18
      birds, two Allen's, 2-Calliope, and 14 Rufous.

      This gave me the opportunity to get 2-life birds - female Calliope
      Hummingbird, and a young male Allen's Hummingbird.

      I then went home and was birding my backyard with Les Chibana and a life
      female Black-chinned Sparrow came to my guzzler.

      Three life birds in one day all within 20 miles of my back door!

      Other notables of the day were several White-headed Woodpeckers on the
      Greenhorns and 2-Lodgepole Chipmunks. I saw the first migrant Western
      Tanager in the South Fork Wildlife area. And my backyard sported its
      usual complement birds plus the first migrant Warbling Vireo.

      My daily backyard list includes: 2-dozen Band-tailed Pigeons, several
      dozen Oak Titmice, 1/2 dozen White-breasted Nuthatch, 2/3 dozen
      Black-headed Grosbeak, Anna's and Selasphorus Hummers, 2-3 California
      Thrasher, 1/2 dozen California Towhee, 1-dozen California Quail. There
      are many more daily visitors.

      Good birding.

      Ali