Six Hummer Species Day

  • KRPFriends
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2002
      Today's Kern River Valley Hummingbird Celebration was especially rewarding.
      Don Mitchell, assisted by Les Chibana, banded FIVE species this morning at KRP
      Headquarters out of 26 birds banded: Black-chinned, Anna's, Calliope, Rufous,
      and Allen's. He then led a 5:30pm to 8pm trip to the desert to look for
      Costa's

      Hummingbird at a private residence. After 45 minutes of looking, one finally
      came in and fed on flowers, perched front and back on a low garden fence, and
      overall put on a great show for a good length of time.

      This is supposed to be our low key festival. No mailings. A few e-mailings.
      Some good coverage in the Kern Valley Sun, Bakersfield Californian, and
      Ridgecrest Independent and, voila, they come out of the woodwork. Mostly just
      plain folks who are interested in hummingbirds, have feeders, have questions,
      want to know what they are looking at, etc. - The PERFECT outreach crowd. Very
      appreciative. They loved the phenomenon of the numbers of individuals
      hummingbirds coming to the feeders (1400-1600 per day).

      No need to publicize more. It seems to be growing based on word-of-mouth/it's
      own inertia!

      I think we will add bats as a nighttime component next year. They were out in
      numbers at dusk this evening.

      Best,

      Bob

      Bob Barnes, Outreach Director
      Audubon-California's Kern River Preserve
      P.O. Box 953, Weldon, CA 93283
      FedEx/UPS: 18747 Hwy. 178, Weldon, CA 93283
      E-mail: krpfriends@...
      Phone: (760) 378-3044
      Web Sites:
      http://www.kernriverpreserve.org