Re: Heermanns Gull at Kissack Cove, Mtn Mesa, Isabella Reservoir

  • natureali
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2012
      The Heermann's Gull is back at Kissack Bay. East end near where the reservoir fills the inlet. Where the fish club puts the Xmas tree cages next to the limestone dike.

      It is with mostly California Gulls and a few ringbills. The inlet also has multitudes of Clark's and Western Grebes and 4 Eared Grebes.

      Ali Sheehey
      Kern River Valley

      --- In kerncobirding@yahoogroups.com, Alison Sheehey <natureali@...> wrote:

      > Quick note. On the bay on the east side. Now back to birding.
      > Call if you want to chase.
      >
      > Ali
      > 760-417-0268

    • Alison Sheehey
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2012
        Birders,
        For those interested photos of today's two rarities begin here.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/natureali/7200976812/in/photostream
        The Heermann's Gull has been present since at least yesterday evening when
        I photographed it. I noticed a flock of gulls and took a quick pic to
        review in case I missed something good in poor viewing conditions. After I
        got home and looked at the photo, I realized it looked like a megararity
        and a Kern County bird for me. That is the poor quality photo that begins
        the feed.
        I went out prior to sunrise this morning to see if I could refind it before
        sounding the RBA alarm. All the rest of the photos are of improved quality.
        As some may have noted in my second post this morning, the gull took off
        for a while and while trying to refind it, I found another rare though only
        really uncommon for May bird. The White-throated Sparrow photos follow the
        gulls. The sparrow was not as cooperative as the gull.
        I hope others are able to see either of these lovely birds.
        Good birding,

        Ali Sheehey
        Kern River Valley