Butterbredt Spring, May 1, 2012

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2012
      Butterbredt Spring, Kern, US-CA
      May 1, 2012 6:00 AM - 9:00 AM
      Protocol: Area - 20.0 ac
      Comments: Observers: Bob Barnes, Kathy Cecere, Linda Johnson,
      Jane Manning, Al Tapia, Dave Wilbur. Wind coming down canyon and
      clouds made this an excellent morning for observing migrants pass
      through the area. We estimated a minimum of 800-1000 migrants passing
      through. With the high percentage (80%+) of individuals we did not ID
      to species there may have been as many as 2000+ migrants passing
      through during our 3 hour visit.

      Highlights: Lots and lots of migrants (mostly unidentified and many
      missed the fifteen minutes before our arrival according to those who
      were present during that time), Band-tailed Pigeon 4, Acorn
      Woodpecker 1, twelve warbler species (including a continuing Hooded), etc.

      54 species (+2 other taxa)
      * California Quail 3
      * Chukar 7
      * Great Egret 1
      * Green Heron 1
      * Prairie Falcon 1
      * Band-tailed Pigeon 4 Unexpected. Four flew over and flew
      into one of the tall trees at the upper end of the spring where they
      periodically made their deep "hooting" calls periodically until the
      end of our visit.
      * Mourning Dove 9
      * Great Horned Owl 1
      * Vaux's Swift 2
      * White-throated Swift 2
      * Costa's Hummingbird 2 consisting of one female and one male
      * Acorn Woodpecker 1 Unexpected. But, not unprecedented by
      any means. Flew into then out of spring area.
      * Ladder-backed Woodpecker 2 one female, one male
      * Nuttall's Woodpecker 1 one calling. Hybrid not 100%
      eliminated. But, was giving classic Nuttall's calls.
      * Western Wood-Pewee 2
      * Hammond's Flycatcher 1
      * Gray Flycatcher 1
      * Dusky Flycatcher 1
      * Hammond's/Dusky Flycatcher 2
      * Pacific-slope Flycatcher 2 calling individuals
      * Pacific-slope/Cordilleran Flycatcher (Western) 3 silent individuals
      * Ash-throated Flycatcher 2
      * Western Kingbird 1
      * Cassin's Vireo 3
      * Warbling Vireo 30
      * Common Raven 2
      * Barn Swallow 6
      * Bewick's Wren 4
      * Swainson's Thrush 3
      * Cedar Waxwing 1
      * Orange-crowned Warbler 15
      * Nashville Warbler 3
      * MacGillivray's Warbler 1
      * Common Yellowthroat 1
      * Hooded Warbler 1 Adult male for second day as it was first
      found and photographed Mo, 30 Apr 12 by Berkeley, CA birders Frank
      Lowe and Robin Pulich, then seen again this day, Tu, 1 May 12 by
      Frank, Robin and eleven other birders at Butterbredt. Toward the end
      of our 6am-9am visit to this location this adult male even started to
      sing. Relatively large warbler with green back and yellow underparts,
      a yellow face surrounded by a dark hood on the top of the head and on
      the throat, dark eye. Spent most of the time on the ground with very
      short flights and some time spent in the lower parts of shrubs and
      low willows at the upper end of the spring willow vegetation zone in
      the wash at the upper end of the main spring. I secured Frank and
      Robin's email address as they said they would write up their
      observation from Monday and send the photo to the North American
      Birds compiler for Kern County for the Spring 2012 report.
      * Yellow Warbler 8
      * Yellow-rumped Warbler 8
      * Black-throated Gray Warbler 2
      * Townsend's Warbler 15
      * Hermit Warbler 2
      * Wilson's Warbler 75
      * Yellow-breasted Chat 1
      * Green-tailed Towhee 2
      * Spotted Towhee 1
      * California Towhee 3
      * Song Sparrow 2
      * Lincoln's Sparrow 2
      * White-crowned Sparrow 3
      * Golden-crowned Sparrow 2
      * Western Tanager 120
      * Black-headed Grosbeak 80
      * Lazuli Bunting 5
      * Brewer's Blackbird 3
      * Bullock's Oriole 10
      * House Finch 25
      * Lawrence's Goldfinch 1
      This report was generated automatically by eBird v3
      (http://ebird.org/california/)

    • Lori Arthur
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2012
        Hello Kern birders,

        Butterbredt was almost migrant-free on Saturday. There was one each of HAMMOND'S, WESTERN, and GRAY FLYCATCHERS, a WESTERN TANAGER, and a few WILSON'S WARBLERS. Most interesting was a strange female blackbird moving slowly, vireo or flycatcher style, throught the upper branches. She looked very much like a Brewer's but was darker and very strange in behavior. I'm calling her an odd Brewer's for now.

        Butterbredt Peak was more productive. A CHUKAR, a singing CACTUS WREN, and some SAGE SPARROWS got the hike off to a good start. Some quail appeared, but they disappeared before I could get a good look and ID them. The highlight was a pair of PINYON JAYS  swooping over the brush just below the summit. Are these common at Butterbredt?

        INDRA SWALLOWTAILS were numerous at the top of the mountain, and a DESERT BLACK SWALLOWTAIL was reported from there on the butterfly listserver the next day.

        Noah Arthur, Oakland, CA