Butterbredt Spring checklist of birds

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13 4:22 PM
      Dear Birders,

      As a follow-up to Bob Barnes excellent FOS post, I just wanted to let you know I have posted a checklist of the Birds of Butterbredt Spring at http://www.natureali.org/checklists/butterbredtbirdchecklist.htm

      As many of you are aware I spent a bit of last year researching the bird sightings of Butterbredt Spring Bird Sanctuary. It was such a pleasure to have so many of you respond with detailed information. Thank you to Andrew Howe, Bob Barnes, David Blue, Dave Goodward, John Wilson, Jim Danzenbaker, Keith Axelson, Kelli Levinson, Michael McQuerrey, Matt Heindel, John Schmitt, Susan Steele, Steve Summers, Steve Terrill, Tom Wurster, and Vernon Howe. I am sure now that this preliminary effort has been taken, others can help fill in the gaps.

      The Butterbredt Spring and eastern Sierra canyons are critical to bird migration and several species actually nest locally. I worked on this checklist to pursue a formal nomination with my former employer the National Audubon Society for Important Bird Area status for all of Kern’s eastern Sierra Canyons from Jawbone Canyon north to southern Inyo County’s Nine Mile Canyon. The nomination papers have been delivered and hopefully others can help if Andrea Jones, Audubon California’s IBA coordinator needs more assistance.

      Thanks,

      Ali

      Ali Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA

      www.natureali.org

    • Ali Sheehey
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13 7:05 PM
        Dear Birders

        A couple of questions that popped up about the checklist and since others may wonder answers will be shared.
        Q1. have the approximate dates, or weeks involved, that comprise the bulk of the Spring records? ... Jim
        A1. Records are sporadic, but the bulk of the sightings occur from the mid April to early June. Flycatchers, and local breeders are best sought in late April. Vagrant warblers best in the last week of May to the first 10 days of June.
        NOTE: seasonal records outside of spring and early summer are very weak. if you have any data to add... please send it along.

        Q2. what is the meaning of four blank spaces for the seasons for a species (eg, Double-crested Cormorant)? Are they rarely seen species? hypotheticals? ... Roy
        A2. The blank seasonal birds are species that showed up on one of my resources lists without notation as to date. The sighting has veracity so it is on the list without season information. Anyone who can provide missing seasonal data will be happily added as a source for the checklist.

        Thanks,

        Ali