Re: Christmas for a Birder

  • yakimapark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2011
      Fantastic fun Phil! Really enjoyed the photos!

      About 15 years ago I left BAKO with my cousin visiting from Wisconsin. We
      both had colds and didn't feel like doing much- so we drove to the Mojave
      one afternoon to escape the BAKO dreary fog! only to find a huge fog bank
      across the road south of Red Rock-!?!? go figure. So we went there
      briefly then toured side roads back towards Cal City- encountering maybe?? 50,000
      house finches? clouds of them moving across the desert floor. Didn't
      realize at first what they were and so stopped to get out binocs as they were
      off in the distance. And they moved toward the car in waves! Hundreds
      landed on the car and all around the road shoulder- many landed on the roof
      and skiied down the windshield- pecking in the mirrors, gathering sand from
      the road shoulder and feeding on shrub seeds. They walked all over the car!
      It was truly an amazing experience with a seemingly "ordinary" bird. But
      they are pretty wonderful indeed!!- marcia wolfe