NW Kern ag fields & refuge 40+ White-tailed Kite

  • kernkel
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 8:42 PM
      I spent several hours today (28 Aug 2011)at the Kern Refuge as well as scanning fields between there and Bakersfield. Highlights were 40+ White-tailed Kites at the refuge - all in one tree. I was happy to see 6 kites fly in to this tree and then about fifteen minutes later something must have startled them as the tree erupted with kites. They started to settle down in two trees. The location is at parking lot # 1 on the auto tour route. If you park on the west half of that lot and look north (perpendicular to the road - it may be a little west of due north) there is a large dead tree 4-500 meters out and another large, green tree to it's left. The last couple of weeks I have seen several birds in this area. If they are in the green tree they are easy to miss as they disappear in there. I will put a photo of 22 in the dead tree in the kelevision folder.

      Also of interest was a lost and hot Band-tailed Pigeon on Garces Hwy about a mile east of the refuge.

      Swainson's Hawks are in many of the fields but the best concentration (~50 birds) is still at Peterson and Scofield. I was only able to muster 28 Long-billed Curlew today.

      Kelli Heindel-Levinson