AOU changes pertinent to Kern County

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2011
      Hi Birders

      I have updated the checklist of Kern County birds on my website with taxonomic changes just published by the American Ornithologist’s Union. Several of the introduced birds on the list are not “officially” countable in California but Rose-ringed Parakeets meet all of the criteria.

      AOU 52nd supplement, 2011. These are the following changes pertinent to Kern County only. Changes in this supplement include the following: Major reorder of Warblers. Replace genus Dendroica with genus Setophaga. Change of several species names plus one common name.
      Changes to species names:
      * Common Gallinule - Gallinula galeata, Formerly - Common Moorhen, Gallinula chloropus
      Snowy Plover - Charadrius nivosus, Formerly - Charadrius alexandrinus
      MacGillivray's Warbler - Geothlypis tolmiei, Formerly - Oporornis tolmiei
      Mourning Warbler - Geothlypis philadelphia, Formerly - Oporornis philadelphia
      Kentucky Warbler - Geothlypis formosa, Formerly - Oporornis formosus
      Hooded Warbler - Setophaga citrina, Formerly - Wilsonia citrina
      Cape May Warbler - Setophaga tigrina, Formerly - Dendroica tigrina
      Cerulean Warbler - Setophaga cerulea, Formerly - Dendroica cerulea
      Northern Parula - Setophaga americana, Formerly - Parula americana
      Magnolia Warbler - Setophaga magnolia, Formerly - Dendroica magnolia
      Bay-breasted Warbler - Setophaga castanea, Formerly - Dendroica castanea
      Blackburnian Warbler - Setophaga fusca, Formerly - Dendroica fusca
      Yellow Warbler - Setophaga petechia, Formerly - Dendroica petechia
      Chestnut-sided Warbler - Setophaga pensylvanica, Formerly - Dendroica pensylvanica
      Blackpoll Warbler - Setophaga striata, Formerly - Dendroica striata
      Black-throated Blue Warbler - Setophaga caerulescens, Formerly - Dendroica caerulescens
      Palm Warbler - Setophaga palmarum, Formerly - Dendroica palmarum
      Yellow-rumped Warbler - Setophaga coronata, Formerly - Dendroica coronata
      Yellow-throated Warbler - Setophaga dominica, Formerly - Dendroica dominica
      Prairie Warbler - Setophaga discolor, Formerly - Dendroica discolor
      Black-throated Gray Warbler - Setophaga nigrescens, Formerly - Dendroica nigrescens
      Townsend's Warbler - Setophaga townsendi, Formerly - Dendroica townsendi
      Hermit Warbler - Setophaga occidentalis, Formerly - Dendroica occidentalis
      Black-throated Green Warbler - Setophaga virens, Formerly - Dendroica virens
      Canada Warbler - Cardellina canadensis, Formerly - Wilsonia canadensis
      Wilson's Warbler - Cardellina pusilla, Formerly - Wilsonia pusilla

      You can view a simple checklist and photo checklist at http://www.natureali.org/checklists/kernbirdchecklist.htm and http://www.natureali.org/guides/KC_BIRDS.htm

      Good birding,

      Ali Sheehey
      Weldon, CA

    • Ali Sheehey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2014
        HI Birders,

        I have updated the Kern County checklists of birds on my website to reflect the changes published today by the American Ornithologists’ Union. This list is also posted on my webpages.

        AOU  54th supplement, 2014. These are the following changes pertinent to Kern County only. Changes in this supplement include the following: Arctic Warbler was split into three species but the only recorded bird in Kern is the one that retains both the common and scientific name therefore this split does not change our list: Arctic Warbler (Phylloscopus borealis)

        Changes to common  names: Common Black-Hawk loses the hyphen between black and hawk becoming Common Black Hawk.
        Changes to generic names: none of note for Kern County Birders.
        Species split

        Arctic Warbler is split into the following species

        Arctic Warbler - Phylloscopus borealis - the only species that has wandered to California
        Kamchatka Leaf Warbler - Phylloscopus examinandus
        Japanese Leaf Warbler* - Phylloscopus xanthodryas

        Checklist sequence changes: The only consequence for Kern County birders is a reshuffling of the sequence of some of the doves.
        Old Order:

        Spotted Dove
        White-winged Dove
        Mourning Dove