Gray Vireo in Kern Co. (29 June)

  • Steve & Priscilla Summers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2011
      This early afternoon while birding along Cerro Noroeste Rd. in extreme
      southwestern Kern County I observed a Gray Vireo. The bird was 1.72 miles up
      from the Mil Potrero Rd. It was about 100 yards past a large turnoff on the
      downhill side of the road at a curve (GPS coordinates N34.84741 W119.22531).
      The bird was in what I consider classic habitat for this species based on my
      experiences from my time in sw. Utah- medium height chaparral with openings
      and scattered Pinyon Pines. I was calling for Sage and Black-chinned
      Sparrows (no luck) when three Oak Titmice and a Bewick's Wren responded. I
      then noticed a silent all gray bird a short distance up-slope sitting on top
      of the chaparral looking at me also. It was very round headed with a
      complete thin eyering, short stout bill, and was flipping its tail up and
      down. It took me a few seconds to run through the possibilities when it hit
      me that it was a Gray Vireo. And then it dove down into the brush and
      disappeared. I then tried calling it off and on for about another 45 minutes
      but never saw the bird again. I left as the clouds were roiling up from the
      lowlands obscuring the sun and a strong wind began to blow.

      I had visited Mt. Pinos and San Emigdio Mtn., and was on my way back down
      Cerro Noroeste when I found the bird. The day was quit unusual for late
      June, Mt. Pinos was socked in with low clouds and drippy trees in the early
      a.m. and I never saw the temperature above 59 degrees all day even though
      the sun was out later. The only other bird of note was an adult California
      Condor which flew low overhead as I was driving back down San Emigdio Mtn.
      Rd.

      Steve Summers
      Porterville